Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: CP4.2 Bypass kit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> CP4.2 Bypass kit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lucky for me I don't have to get another truck for a while. Another good thing on my side is I am not afraid to void the useless warranty that I have never needed in any of my Cummins trucks by replacing the CP4.2 with an old CP3 if that time comes. Most mods I do increase reliability by removing things that are prone to fail and/or decrease engine longevity.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a great solution, but seems too simple?
Millions of these pumps are out there and the OE couldn't come up with a way to keep them from sending parts downstream?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Millions of these pumps are out there and the OE couldn't come up with a way to keep them from sending parts downstream?

For each pump sold the OEM saved $360. Multiply that by those millions and that is a lot of money to protect against an infrequent issue. But apparently Bosch also lost some business if GM switched to Denso.

Now if I owned the vehicle I would look at 360 as a bargain because any failure would be a big deal.

Take it easy,
Stu

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember GM and VW honored their warranties - it was Ford that shafted the owners. Great fix especially if you own a Ford diesel.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman wrote:

Remember GM and VW honored their warranties - it was Ford that shafted the owners. Great fix especially if you own a Ford diesel.

BMW also honored their warranties and even extended them for all customers using the CP4.1(single piston) and CP4.2(dual piston) version, but didn't seem to have that many issues.

There haven't been issues with the Cummins 5.0L in the trucks or medium duty from what I seen. The VM Motori Ecodiesel hasn't seem to have issues either, however, these two engines might be using the updated CP4.2.

* This post was edited 05/21/19 07:49am by ShinerBock *

kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What year Rams have the CP4.2? I have a 2017 ram.

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
1999 Northland 8ft Camper
Honda 2000 Generator

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

For each pump sold the OEM saved $360. Multiply that by those millions and that is a lot of money to protect against an infrequent issue. But apparently Bosch also lost some business if GM switched to Denso.

Now if I owned the vehicle I would look at 360 as a bargain because any failure would be a big deal.

Take it easy,
Stu

This aftermarket item is $360 but making such a minor change to the original design would likely do nothing to the cost of each piece. It would have been a one time engineering cost with significant benefit.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kirkl wrote:

2019+

You have a CP3.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kirkl wrote:

The CP4.2 is on the "updated" 2019 6.7L.

They had to do it in order to increase power output and meet emissions. While the CP3 puts out enough volume of fuel than the stock engine(turbo restricted) is capable of, it does not put out enough pressure to do it and meet emissions at the same time.

Basically they reduced reliability in order to increase power and meet emissions so they can keep up the pissing match. I for one was fine with the old stock power levels if it meant keeping the CP3 and just increase power afterwards with a tuner, but some people just gotta want more and more for bragging rights even if it lowers reliability.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Good info for the "F" guys!

Also good info for the RAM guys because it shows there was an inssue 14 and prior but from everything i have NOT heard the 15 and newer pumps are not having nearly as many issues.

The CP4.2 is still very sensitive to fuel contamination and aeration no matter how you spin it.

NOT spinning anything! RAM has had a high quality fuel filtration system since 2013.

Time will tell if the pump Cummins chose to use will hold up. Ya Gots 100k coverage to see how it goes.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> CP4.2 Bypass kit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.