cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low grill gas pressure

oldboatermike
Explorer
Explorer
my Solaire hybrid trailer has an outside quick connect for propane and it came with a grill, but last year the gas pressure was so low I couldn't warm up an already cooked burger. So I bought a new valve from the grill folks and that did nothing. Why would I have such low pressure there over time, worked great 1st time. How do I trouble shoot this, anyone deal with anything similar?

oldboatermike
9 REPLIES 9

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
As Dave said, you are likely dealing with the double regulator problem. You have one on the trailer and you have one on your grill.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a regulator on the tanks. Many of the plug in BBQs also have a regulator. That is two regulators on the gas line.
Don't work.
Take the regulator off the BBQ, and hook it up direct to the already regulated gas line.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

oldboatermike
Explorer
Explorer
So, I checked the fitting by ordering another a matched set of male and female, plugged the male in to allow gas to flow free to the atmosphere and nothing happened. I then followed the one suggestion I got to check the o-ring, and in doing so noticed it was darker than it should be, turned out to be a nest of some bug. Cleaned that out and viola! got gas, grill worked perfect.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a quick connect fitting under the trailer that went bad. There's a little o-ring there and I think that got messed up. Some days there'd be no gas and some days it would be fine. If you look inside your fitting you might be able to see if it's okay or not.

The RV quick connect fittings are 1/4", are RV specific and cost a lot at an RV dealer. I find the valves on them are a nuisance and have been pondering switching to a 3/8" natural gas quick connect like below ($15 on Amazon). We have a 20' 3/8" dia. hose for our Weber Q. Not sure if it's much better than a typical 1/4" hose but we never have a flow problem.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to find a propane dealer that has a pressure gauge to test for pressure. I have a hard time believing that the line could be plugged in the middle. The quick connector could be plugged though at the point where you plug the grill in.

Are you sure that something in the grill itself is not plugged. I know that you said that you checked but, that would be the easiest thing to fix. There has to be a valve on the grill to control flame height. Are you sure the knob on the valve is turning the shaft that it is connected to ??? Could there be a chunk of dirt that fell into the grill line and got stuck at the valve ???

Hope you get it fixed easily. Have a nice day

oldboatermike
Explorer
Explorer
I already made sure there is no obstruction in the grill and all my devices other than the grill work fine. The grill was made for the trailer, came with it from the factory, and worked the first three years, so it not working now is probably a line blocked, but somewhere between the distribution in the trailer and the valve (no regulator on the grill) but how do I test for that?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Often the rig connector is for low pressure. Connecting a grill with a regulator can cause the problem you've encountered. In this case remove the grill regulator.

I installed a high pressure connection and use the grill's regulator.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a spider web or nest in your grill's burner. Or, maybe a pinched line under the RV from hitting a rock or something.
Do your other RV appliances work fine on propane or is there a pressure problem with the whole RV?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a spider web or nest in your grill's burner. Or, maybe a pinched line under the RV from hitting a rock or something.
Do your other RV appliances work fine on propane or is there a pressure problem with the whole RV?