cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How big is too big?

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like I'm going to have to buy a 30 footer to meet all the requirements we have space-wise. I hear many folks in 30 foot and longer MHs saying they are too big for many campgrounds. Is this a huge problem at 30 ft?
20 REPLIES 20

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Steve,

You pretty much stated that you'll need a 30' to satisfy your space needs, so why would you consider something smaller? Do you want to be unhappy 99% of the time you take the rig out just in case your 30' rig doesn't fit into a spot on a campground you might visit sometime in the future?

Most here will tell you, it's all about the floor plan. Find a floor plan that will work for you and your family. You'll adapt to whatever else you need to do.

As others have said, there are plenty of campgrounds around. We tend to stay at mostly private campgrounds and have never had a problem finding a site to fit our 36' class A. In fact, most times, we have our choices of sites based upon where we want to be located in the campground and/or available hookups.

The only thing I'd mention, seeing as you're somewhat of a newbie, is to understand that ALL of these RVs have weight limits. Just because there is enough space to bring things, doesn't mean there is enough weight carrying capacity. Some people run their rigs overweight all of the time and it doesn't seem to bother them. Me? The engineer in me makes me want to keep things under the limits set by the manufacturers. I'd recommend you at least consider weight as a possible issue. Just two people in a 30' Class C probably won't be a problem. A family of 5 or 6 in that same RV is a different story. But my recommendation, know what the limits are on any RV you consider and feel free to ask any questions which might arise.

Good Luck in your search!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
If the floorplan is really right. The rest does not matter.
Especially in the 30โ€™ or so range.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Big Steve, you answers your own question. You said your "needs" require a 30 footer.
So get one.
Don't you see the zillions of RVs hit the road every weekend? There's a spot for everyone and 30' will get you most places.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
FWIW, we have a few times had to pass up certain campsites even when in our 24 foot Class C motorhome.

Perhaps in discussions like these, the total length of the RV needs to be more clearly stated, i.e., tow vehicle (or not) and trailer.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, we have a few times had to pass up certain campsites even when in our 24 foot Class C motorhome. This is rare but can happen ... and for some reason it usually happens at compsites that are otherwise in fantastic settings.

Stay in as small an RV as you can possibly tolerate is my advice.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
On the East Coast, we have never encountered a campground, state park or municipal park that couldn't accommodate our 32' Class C. We've been in some that had sites that we couldn't fit into, but they had plenty of sites that we could so no issue.

As others have said, check out the campgrounds in the areas you think you will visit and make sure there is at least one that will accommodate you.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is an ongoing debate. Florida would be a good place for large trailers. Old FS campgrounds in the Inter-Mountain West would be a bad place for anything over around 24 feet.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
If you are planning on using state parks on the E coast, you should have no problem until you get over 40 or 45 feet. I host in a state park in Virginia and we can accommodate units that are in excess of 65', but they only advertise 40' units.

That does vary a lot with where you are along the east coast. Around here there are a fair few state parks that were built by the CCC and haven't had the campgrounds changed a great deal since, and even 30-35' makes a noticeable difference in the sites one can use. 40-45' in Vermont state parks would be very limiting indeed.

As you (and others) generally suggest, it's best to just do a bit of research in the areas one would care to visit and see how much or little difficulty a large rig would pose. In many cases, it's not much at all; but in others, the opposite is true.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to be traveling in the west in national parks that were built years and years ago, you will run into problems. If you are planning to stay in RV parks with services (like water, power, sewer), you should have no problems. If you are planning on using state parks on the E coast, you should have no problem until you get over 40 or 45 feet. I host in a state park in Virginia and we can accommodate units that are in excess of 65', but they only advertise 40' units.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I have gathered from responses to this question is that if you want to stay in a specific campground rather than one in the general area, you will want to stay under 27ft.

If you are not particular about the specific campground, then go as big as you want.

For example, if you want to stay at campground A, then size may very well matter. If you are willing to stay at campground A, B, or C or RV Park D or E in the same area, then size won't matter because at least one of those places will fit your rig.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whoโ€™s โ€œstuckโ€ in their RV during โ€œbadโ€ weather? Proper clothing and rain gear โ€œunsticksโ€ you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a 30' motorhome or trailer combo will fit in every campsite in every campground in the entire NPS world, but you should be OK in most of them. Each park and campground and campsite are different, some the length will be a problem, some the height or width, with and without slides deployed, and so on.
Here's a website that says it's checked them all and has produced a map of what fits where, and what doesn't fit, and then lists some of the most popular NPS campgrounds with individual specs.
I don't know how accurate it all is, but I've been to a few of the ones listed, and IIRC the numbers are pretty accurate.
https://camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My truck and toyhauler total about 58' and we don't have any problems with RV parks. Except in the national Parks, I can't see where a 30 footer would have any issues.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just get one where the ratio of wheel base to length is 55% (ideal). At 50% things are a LOT worse.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.