cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Battery boiling

mxdad290
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased all new batteries for my coach and chassis. I hooked them up and went to test the slide. The slide worked as it should but my son was standing by the battery compartment, which is still open and said the chassis battery seemed like it was boiling. It was and seemed to be getting worse by the second. I quickly unhooked the ground and it stopped. What caused this? I am 99.9 percent positive it is hooked up correctly.
25 REPLIES 25

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

MrWizard
duplicate
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
mxdad290 wrote:
Another shot of battery hook up...ground is unhooked.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
mxdad290 wrote:
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mxdad290
Explorer
Explorer

mxdad290
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double post

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your profile says you have a 1999 MH, most MH's don't charge the chassis battery when plugged into shore power unless you or a PO installed a charging wires running from the house batteries to the chassis battery or a separate battery charger just for the chassis battery. Is this what you have? If that is the case the wire going from the house to the chassis battery may be reversed. All your main wiring could be hooked up correctly as you stated. Before you changed batteries did you chassis battery always charge when you plugged into shore power? Check the voltage coming out of your converter/charger what does it read?

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a voltmeter?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI, I had one of my two 12v chassis batteries (in parallel) start boiling without anything changing since Motorhome was new (6 years). One of the old batteries got an internal short and didn't stop boiling until I disconnected the other battery from it. The bad battery was smoking and really hot. I feel very lucky I caught the issue before something really bad happened.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as the battery is concerned I would disconnect one cable and check voltage of the battery, then check voltage and polarity on the cables with a meter. Polarity should match and voltage should be within 1.5 volts.

May need to let the battery rest disconnected for a day to get a voltage reading.

Post the results.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mxdad290 wrote:
Mine was sounded like boiling and had a whistle sound...even started smoking. I looked at them again this morning and I still think.I have it hooked up correctly. I took pictures, but can't figure out how to upload them.
Can't upload directly or link to your device.

Need to upload to a server and post the link.

I use this service recommended by RV.net and hosted by imgur.com

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

mxdad290
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was sounded like boiling and had a whistle sound...even started smoking. I looked at them again this morning and I still think.I have it hooked up correctly. I took pictures, but can't figure out how to upload them.