cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Trip This Season

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We’re heading out for our first trip this season; a long Memorial Day weekend a couple of hrs west of Charlotte NC for a sheepdog trial. The trailer has been serviced (maintenance). I will be dewinterizing it today. I need to make sure the generator is ready since it will be in the mid 90s and there is no shade and no hookups in the camping field. Will bring the easy-up and we have a very large shade cloth (big enough to cover the entire van).

Grant and Lee seem to be fit and listening well; I’m not sure they are ready for the heat. I’m sure BJ is not ready for the heat (she has multiple tumors in pancreas and liver); we will run AC in camper if she’s not comfortable.

Sam & Wendy have plenty of food. The 18 chickens have food. The grass is growing and the spring fed water troughs are flowing so the 200 sheep are set.

Hopefully we won’t forget anything; that is always a worry with the first trip of the season.

I was checking our route and discovered the satellite view in the apple maps ap was taken during a past year’s event; it shows the campers, the course, and the sheep.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
14 REPLIES 14

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about BJ. It sounds like you are making him comfortable as possible.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
BJ had a recent checkup and blood test. Liver function was down a little, she’s lost 2 lbs, and the vet was surprised how well she’s doing. She’s holding her own for now; next checkup is in 6months unless something changes.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Glad the heat wasn't as bad as it could have been. Sorry to hear about BJ, glad you were able to make her more comfortable. Liver cancer is what stole my Buddy from me. I curse it daily.
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad the vet addressed the uti. Yep the heat's been brutal!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
There were about 70 dog-handler teams signed up to run; between 20 and 30 chose not to come. The days topped out around 95; fortunately there was a breeze. More fortunate, we ran early on both days (6:30am and 10am). We were “also ran” on the first day (placed in the middle of the pack). The second day we were 10th and 11th. Poor BJ was uncomfortable all weekend; she had developed a uti (on top of her cancer). We left the trial after the end of the runs on Sunday and headed north into the Mts off I77 to a friend’s farm where it was cooler. Our friend is a small/large animal Vet and she addressed BJs uti. BJ was much more comfortable in the cooler temps (so were we) and with her meds. Driving back Memorial Day was not as bad as it could have been.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
If you get up to the Lockport/Joliet area this year, pm me and maybe I could get to meet you and your beautiful dogs. Had fun playing with a border collie at a friend's house who was taking care of it while the owner was travelling yesterday. The dog never tired of playing fetch with me!

Rita

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Enjoy your trip, Mark and Renee.
Our first trip of the season is to my favorite fishing hole.

In fact we're there already. :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Our next trip will be out your way; Chillicothe IL
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I know exactly where this farm is; I grew up in what is now homer glen in a neighborhood at 143rd and Parker rd. My parents also look for the sheep at this farm

My parents moved to 143rd and archer rd; we were there for Christmas
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck and safe travels to you. There is a small sheep farm on 143rd St. in Homer Glen, between Crème Rd. and Parker Rd. I always look for the sheep when I pass by because it's nice to see them out in the field.

Rita

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What's an RV trip without forgetting something? lol Enjoy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your trip, hope your Border Collies do well.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a good thing going for you. Working dogs always impress me.