cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer built using aluminum frame

gerpeters
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of buying to a new Travel Trailer. I want to go for a higher end trailer with aluminum framing and have looked at the Forest River Rockwood line up.

What over make and brand are built with aluminum framing?
26 REPLIES 26

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Olivers have an aluminum running frame and no framing in the walls or roof. Bigfoot has a steel frame and no framing in the walls and roof. Neither has a roof membrane, nor seams, nor seam caulking. They are as close to a no-leak roof as you can get.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
GrandpaKip wrote:
I believe older Camp-Lites were all aluminum, no wood at all.

Correct. The Camplites are constructed of all aluminum framing, including a welded aluminum frame to include even the cabinetry, as well as an aluminum "chassis". On models prior to 2016 (I believe) the roof is aluminum. My Camplite is a 2013 and has been a really nice and reliable camper so far. It is a huge shame Thor killed it.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

gerpeters
Explorer
Explorer
I posted here to educate myself. I appreciate all the good info. Thank you!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you are getting some sound comments, but I understand what you are saying and believe you are on the right track. Just add a few of the other suggestions to your requirements.

Our first was an entry level TT and we then moved to a Surveyor because it was 6 sided aluminum. It still wasn't anything to be prideful of, but it was a very clear step in the right direction! Nothing broke in the hundreds of nights we used it.

I used price point to help me shop. By that, I mean find the middle price for trailers of the length you want. You almost always get what you pay for, and manufacturers have to justify why they are asking what they are. For instance, our Surveyor was about $22k while a comparable in an entry level was about $15k. It was very easy to find the $7k extra once I got to know the trailer. I began to recognize that sometimes more money translates to better value.

You'll figure this out. Keep educating yourself and try not to make a move until you do.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
gerpeters wrote:
I have been researching the Rockwood line up from Forest River and I'm pretty sure I will get something better than a Zinger. Something that would have been leaking since day one is not an RV that WILL leak one day. That is an RV that is already leaking water the day it came out the door.

Yes I fully understand that maintenance is key but there is a difference between buying a Hyundai and Audi. As the saying goes you get what you pay for

Rockwood / Flagstaff can build some decent stuff, but they can also pump out some garbage. If you search in depth at Forest River forums you can het some good info. You just have to weed out the Forest River Kool Aid drinkers on that site who chastise everyone, even more so new members, and contend every little issue is the purchasers fault as Forest River does no wrong in their eyes. They have quite a few of those drinkers including some of the moderators.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gerpeters wrote:
I have been researching the Rockwood line up from Forest River and I'm pretty sure I will get something better than a Zinger. Something that would have been leaking since day one is not an RV that WILL leak one day. That is an RV that is already leaking water the day it came out the door.

Yes I fully understand that maintenance is key but there is a difference between buying a Hyundai and Audi. As the saying goes you get what you pay for

Well how about Airstreams?

They are not "cheap" by any means, an tiny Bambi (single axle) WILL set you back a cool $35K NEW and larger ones well above $130K NEW..

See HERE

BUT, they too LEAK AND ROT.

You are only fooling yourself into thinking spending more will result in one not leaking or rotting.

Spend away and live in a dream world, I am out of here, nothing to see..

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink (you can however drown it with knowledge)..

gerpeters
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gerpeters wrote:
I bought a used 2012 Zinger from Crossroads 3 years ago. That was the first mistake. Never again will I buy a used trailer. I did not have any experience buying an RV and it is my second one. The first one was too small but a pretty good trailer which served me well for a few years.

The Zinger, on the other hand, I could say that it is junk. I fixed the water leak in the front but this last weekend I decided that I would take off the corner moldings in the back to reseal/redo them.

Both corners are rotten badly including the floor. I'm sure this RV has been leaking water since the day it came of the assembly line

Which shows that even buying "NEW" does not "guarantee" it will not rot.

It wasn't the fact you bought a used TT, it was the fact that the PREVIOUS OWNER(S) FAILED to do BASIC annual maintenance.

Only two types of RVs, one that IS leaking that WILL be leaking.

You MUST INSPECT all of the possible points of water intrusion from the roof down to windows and doors AND all of the TRIM AND MOLDINGS on a annual basis. Any cracks in the putty/sealant it MUST be removed, cleaned and replaced with new.

RVs are not for "wimps" unless you plan to ignore the maintenance.

Failure to do maintenance is the direct result you have delt with, wasn't the fault of the manufacturer OR they type of construction (wood framed vs aluminum framed).

By blaming the type of framing and only looking at aluminum framing you are eliminating better than 95% of the RVs and it WILL leak and rot just as bad as the wood framed ones you rejected..

gerpeters
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 2012 Zinger from Crossroads 3 years ago. That was the first mistake. Never again will I buy a used trailer. I did not have any experience buying an RV and it is my second one. The first one was too small but a pretty good trailer which served me well for a few years.

The Zinger, on the other hand, I could say that it is junk. I fixed the water leak in the front but this last weekend I decided that I would take off the corner moldings in the back to reseal/redo them.

Both corners are rotten badly including the floor. I'm sure this RV has been leaking water since the day it came of the assembly line

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If slides/large sizes are not important, get a solid fiberglass model. Oliver and Bigfoot are probably the least likely to leak, and most likely to survive a leak if one occurred. Oliver especially. You gotta pay to play though.

I picked a brand new entry level, wood framed unit 15 years ago, then went over it with a fine tooth comb. It sits outdoors 24/7 through all four seasons, including lots of snow/ice and frost/thaw cycles, yet has never leaked.

I'm leery of slides because they introduce a huge leak vector. If I had covered storage though...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I believe older Camp-Lites were all aluminum, no wood at all.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
gerpeters wrote:
...The reason I'm looking for an aluminum frame and better quality trailer is that the one I have not had a major water leak. I fixed it including replacing part of the floor that was rotten

Aluminum framed trailers still have wood floors and roof decking. Most also have wood bonded to the fiberglass skin between the fiberglass and framing.

One indicator of better construction might be looking for plywood flooring rather than osb and a walkable roof.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gerpeters wrote:
I'm very handy for repairs and all things related to hands-on mechanical. I used to work as an industrial welder and maintenance in a factory so I can do everything.

The reason I'm looking for an aluminum frame and better quality trailer is that the one I have not had a major water leak. I fixed it including replacing part of the floor that was rotten

You are looking at aluminum frame for the WRONG reasons.

Aluminum framing can and will "rot" from water infiltration, contact with incompatible metals (including pretty much all but one type of stainless).

Aluminum framing does not insure or eliminate damage water leakage.

Aluminum can easily degrade in high moisture areas by corroding and turning into a white powder.

Aluminum framing is no stronger than wood stick builts, in fact may be a bit disadvantaged in strength depending on the fastening system involved (screws, pop rivets or welding all can weaken the metal around the connection).

The ONLY reason to consider aluminum framing is for WEIGHT SAVINGS.

Yeah, that's it, for that you pay a premium price for aluminum.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY- When I bought my ne 5er the dealer told me there were two types of trailers, those that leak and those that will leak.

Maintenance is the key to longevity regradless of price range.