cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help choose a Truck and Toy Hauler

ElAmericano
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, new to the forum and first post. Looking up get a new truck and my first toy hauler. Here my objectives / needs.

Current Approach:
Camp on primitive leased land 3 hr away (Texas). Tow side by side on utility trailer and tent camp there.

Current Truck:
2009 Ext Cab, stnd bed 1500 Silverado LT with 5.3,m tow pkg + trailer brake controller. 80,000 miles on truck and tow great.
GVWR=7000, GCWR=13000, Payload: 1543, Max Trailering 7500
Max Tongue wt per manual: 500 lbs reg hitch, 1000 lbs wt dist hitch

Current Load:
In Truck: 2 adults total weight = 375 lbs + 100 lbs supplies
Tow: (non-wt dist tow 2000 lbs dual axle 12' utility trailer loaded with 1500 lbs side by side)

Objective:
Switch to a toy hauler setup for RVing on primitive leased land (so need generator + bring water). Looking for smallest possible bumper pull with weight distribution hitch Toy Hauler that can fit 120'' long, 62'' wide, 76'' tall Side by Side. Hauler needs to house 1 couple + kid on the way. RV does not need to be very nice inside. We mostly stay outside and just need an A/C place to sleep, toilet, shower, minimal cooking.

Toy Haulers Considering ( Still need to visit and measure):

Forest River 20CB
Dry Tongue Wt: 865, Dry Curb Wt 4955

Forest River 25LRLE
Dry Tongue Wt: 768, Dry Curb Wt 5012

Forest River 27QB
Dry Tongue Wt: 1082, Dry Curb Wt 6385

Stealth Nomad 18FK (Converted travel trailer)
Dry Tongue Wt 760, Dry Curb Wt 5065

New Truck:
- I would prefer to keep my current truck, but with the tongue weight restriction of 1000 lbs I don't think that's going to be possible.
Trying to decide between buying a new 1/2 ton with 1200-1250 tongue weight limit or a gas 3/4 ton with 1500lbs+ tongue weight limit and all the other towing benefits of a 3/4 ton. I currently do not use my truck as a daily driver but I may have to in the future.

- New (2019)Trucks being considered:
GM 2500 crew cab, stnd bed, 6.0 gas
GM 1500 crew cab, short bed, 5.3 with max tow
Ram 1500?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Would like to purchase before end of year.

Thanks for reading.
11 REPLIES 11

JLmarine
Explorer
Explorer
I’m subscribing to this. Im single And ready to buy the same setup. I’ve decided on a 3/4 ton diesel and a small bedroom toyhauler built well enough to get to far away places. Can this be done for 30k or should I up the budget? I’m handy, but no mechanic. I need it to be reliable and able to go cross country as I’m spending the winter in south Florida and NC, but the rest of the time in Colorado and neighboring states.

I’m new and looking for help. Need to buy a couple toys too. I know I want a nice reliable side by side not Polaris to start. I know nothing of dirt bikes, but I love motorcycles and want one of them too.

I’m a bigger guy at 5’11” and 220 so I’m going to need a little power too.

Thanks!! Help the new guy get started.

ElAmericano
Explorer
Explorer
So I’ve been looking at THs of all different lengths, half ton towable and ones I’d get if I had a 3/4 ton and that’s the mix that I listed. I’m trying to stay under $25k on the TH.

But let’s say I was trying to tow with my half ton.
And I was looking at the Stealth Nomad 18FK (23’ total length). Similar to VRV, Livin Lite Quicksilver, ATC, Forest River Work and Play design. The 18FK has a 30 gal water tank which is about right for my needs and a dry hitch weight of 750. Looking at the position of the axles I’m guessing half of my SxS would sit behind the axles, rest on top. 30 gal water = 260 lbs weight in front. I’m guessing I would end up at a 900 - 1000 lbs hitch weight once loaded and SxS counter balancing some? Does anyone here with experience with a TH with that type of design and their final hitch weight?

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
ElAmericano wrote:
I've considered keeping my current truck but what worries me is the hitch/tongue weight limit. Truck's tongue limit is 1000 lbs with a weight dist hitch. Let's say I pick a toy hauler with a dry hitch weight of 750 lbs and load up water (tank in front) and a 1500 lbs SxS over tandem axles. What do you estimate the hitch weight will be? This is my biggest concern.
Many times the tongue weight goes down with the TH loaded, they are designed that way.

Look at my real world numbers, 2 full size quads only lowered it by 200lbs.
And that was with putting the quads all the way back against the ramp.
Can't do that with a SXS.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
lincster wrote:
I have real world tongue weights of a dual axle toy hauler, measured at the ball mount of the trailer.

We did no water/no toys. TW was 1100lbs.
Full water (150 gal)/no toys. TW went to 1900lbs.
Full water/2 full size quads. TW went to 1700lbs.

You will be all of 1500-1700lbs of tongue weight with a hauler that holds a decent amount of water and is a dual axle. No way around that.

No he is looking at 20' TH, not the 30' you had.....this is one exception where he has the right truck and does not need a new one.

You will be fine with your truck. Bottom line, get the trailer, tow it a few times, if you feel you want a bigger truck after that go for it.

I wasn't talking about my trailer.
I was talking about a buddies. It was 26' with dual axle.
The OP listed a 27 foot model..... so...... seems pretty close to my buddies 26' that we measured.

Still has the wrong truck, sorry.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
I have real world tongue weights of a dual axle toy hauler, measured at the ball mount of the trailer.

You will be all of 1500-1700lbs of tongue weight with a hauler that holds a decent amount of water and is a dual axle. No way around that.

No he is looking at 20' TH, not the 30' you had.....this is one exception where he has the right truck and does not need a new one.

You will be fine with your truck. Bottom line, get the trailer, tow it a few times, if you feel you want a bigger truck after that go for it.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
ElAmericano wrote:
I've considered keeping my current truck but what worries me is the hitch/tongue weight limit. Truck's tongue limit is 1000 lbs with a weight dist hitch. Let's say I pick a toy hauler with a dry hitch weight of 750 lbs and load up water (tank in front) and a 1500 lbs SxS over tandem axles. What do you estimate the hitch weight will be? This is my biggest concern.
Many times the tongue weight goes down with the TH loaded, they are designed that way.
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM

lincster
Explorer
Explorer

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 ton truck is a must for any decent sized toy hauler.
Once you fill the hauler with water and stuff, any 1/2 ton is going to hate it.
I had a buddy with a F250 with the gas motor and pulled a 26' hauler.
Truck did it, but he hated the experience and it sucked down the fuel.
Bought a 2019 F350 diesel and is all smiles towing.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

ElAmericano
Explorer
Explorer

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your current truck and pick the TH from your list you like the most for your needs and go for it. After a year or 2 things change and your list of things you want in a TH will grow, you will want to upgrade, until them save your $$$.
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Once you pack your supplies and put your toys inside all of the TT's you mention will probably be at or over the tow limits of your current vehicle.

I would suggest the 3/4T you mentioned. I have a 2016 2500HD CC 6.0 std bed with 4.10 gears and a WD hitch (which I suggest you consider buying). It will tow anything mentioned without a problem. My TT has a GVWR of 11,170 and I have no problem towing. The 3/4T will have far better suspension, brakes, handling, higher tow capacity than maxing out a 1/2T. I like the factory integrated brake controller too.

As far as the TT, the choice will be up to you as to what floor plan you like best.

Happy shopping.