cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northwood Runaround Rant

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Arctic Fox 25W and I think it is a great trailer. But, I have to say the attitude I got from the Northwood people regarding getting electrical schematics was very disappointing. At first Brent said "sure" and send me a plug and outlet location drawing. When I called and said this is not a schematic. Brent said well we don't have one. When I asked if they sell a trailer without someone actually designing the electrical system, he said no. He then passed me on to a service manager named Matt, who finally when pushed for an answer, finally said "no" you cannot have the drawing. 2 phone calls, being talked down to, and a 1/2 hour of time to be told "you don't get know how your trailer is designed." If you have had this experience with other manufacturers, please respond. I am curious how much hide the ball goes on out there.

I need to amend my original post. I am not as cheesed about not being given a schematic, because as others noted I can work around it if I'm just careful about planning my mods. What is unacceptable to me is being lied to for 30 minutes, being told that an outlet location chart is a schematic, then being told one does not exist and then being handed off to an a**hole who finally admitted they just wont hand it out and then threatening to dox me if I post about the service department's crappy way of handling the request.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
22 REPLIES 22

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
Maybe I need to amend my original post. I am not as cheesed about not being given a schematic, because as others noted I can work around it if I'm just careful about planning my mods. What is unacceptable to me is being lied to for 30 minutes, being told that an outlet location chart is a schematic, then being told one does not exist and then being handed off to an a**hole who finally admitted they just wont hand it out and then threatening to dox me if I post about the service department's crappy way of handling the request.

I would be very tempted to go up the chain of command and let them know I was threatened.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco has not problem providing schematics. Just email them the VIN # and they email you the schematics.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
Maybe I need to amend my original post. I am not as cheesed about not being given a schematic, because as others noted I can work around it if I'm just careful about planning my mods. What is unacceptable to me is being lied to for 30 minutes, being told that an outlet location chart is a schematic, then being told one does not exist and then being handed off to an a**hole who finally admitted they just wont hand it out and then threatening to dox me if I post about the service department's crappy way of handling the request.
Yeah, that is certainly not the way to build customer goodwill. The last guy in line of your conversations should have known that you had been handed off to him by a company guy and the threat was out of line, totally.
From a company standpoint: Their wiring diagrams or as-built drawings may be proprietary from a few different viewpoints and that could have been stated, initially. I would think that there is also a measure of liability in handing out drawings for a customer to start modifying, especially mechanical systems. Having said that, Starcraft emailed me every piece of product information they had on my 40 yr old trailer, including brochures of alike models in that year. Provision seems totally mfg dependent, it seems.
With the new wiring scanners/tracers and some careful inspection, a guy could make his own electrical diagrams fairly easy. Beat the mfg at his own game and sell them online for a few bucks, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
Mthreatening to dox me

No idea what that means
Bob

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
When I called Jayco for drawings for my rig I got everything I asked for no questions asked. Wiring schematics for 12v and 120v, 12v and 120v load centers, fresh water plumbing, drain plumbing and roof truss layout.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I think the OP is totally out of line. He is asking for proprietary information. Call Dell and ask for the same thing for your newest computer. Call General Motors and ask for the same thing for your new truck. He is not asking for a service manual, he is asking for how it was built.

Lol, wiring a box on wheels for lights and a fridge is hardly proprietary.
Would it be nice to have a wiring diagram to chase an issue with or modify something? Yup
If you understand 12v and 120v wiring is it a mystery without a schematic? Nope
Is it helpful either way? Yup

For those who say they don't have a wiring diagram, I do guarantee they have a wiring schematic. Gimme a break.
Think about it...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If I were them, I wouldn't share that either. Their pre-assembled harnesses area a huge quality advantage vs competitors.

But maybe if you share what you are trying to figure out, we can help you out here.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth, we used to have a 18' Trophy boat. Not only was the wiring schematic available in the owner's manual, someone was able to obtain the "build schedule" from the factory in PDF form. It showed how all the hull pieces fit together, where the wood reinforcing was, and an idea of what was "behind" the voids. If you as GM or Ford or Chrysler for a wiring schematic, the condensed version is, "send $200.00 to Helm publications to buy the Factory Service Manuals".
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I think the OP is totally out of line. He is asking for proprietary information. Call Dell and ask for the same thing for your newest computer. Call General Motors and ask for the same thing for your new truck. He is not asking for a service manual, he is asking for how it was built.

your kidding right?
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco told me that I can obtain a schematic after the two year warranty expires. They don't want to take work away from their dealers. By the time dealers get around to doing the warranty work it will be expired anyway.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
beemerphile1 wrote:
Does Northwood use a pre-assembled harness?

Yes, shown in this video from two weeks ago.
This is the truck camper line, but the TT line also uses pre-assembled harnesses.

Video of Northwood factory
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago is about the only manufacturer that has wiring schematics, electrical equipment installation drawings, plumbing drawings, and complete parts lists, for everything, going way back, ONLINE. It is very nice and adds value to the WBO products. I made good use of them while I owned my '07 View, and they come in handy when helping others online who don't understand electrical schematics.

Some manufacturers will tell you its proprietary information they cannot release, meaning, they do not have it, or they don't keep such stuff filed for the future.

Artic Fox does use an outside vendor to build up complete wiring harnesses, with connectors, and bundled, ready to install, so they should have the drawings, they do not wire on the fly.

See this video, at 17:25 he shows you a harness and explains this.

https://youtu.be/x9rmC2iacvI

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.