cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

At least I found an honest dealer...

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Saw what appeared to be the perfect answer to our first RV purchase. A 2011 class c with 68K miles at half NADA. Yeah, I know, too good to be true. But the pictures were gorgeous, so I figured what have I got to lose?

Long story short. It had some issues I didn't notice (greenhorn here) The salesman pointed them out to me. I was going to get an inspection, but the honesty of the salesman saved me 500 bucks already. Showed me a second one that had come in today. He hadn't seen it yet, but as we were looking at it he told me I shouldn't buy it. We found some stuff with it also.

Interesting. All their reviews say they are not pushy, and honest. You can bet I'll be looking there again.
12 REPLIES 12

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Used RV are like used cars. THEY WILL NEED REPAIRS ! For example, unless the previous owner did METICULOUS maintenance figure any RV over 5-8 years weill need a new roof. Not a "coating", a new roof !

The problem is on RVs it is easier for there to be SERIOUS hidden damage, especially if you don't know where to look !
My first RV was purchased at 10 years old. My second was purchased at 10 years old. My third (and current) was purchased at 12 years old. While all 3 were in good condition, NONE of them were maintained "meticulously". NONE of them had or have any roof issues; not sure what RVs you are looking at that need new roofs at 5-8 years old. :h
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessarily honest, but I had a situation where the dealer was looking out for me.

My used trailer came with a one-month warranty from the dealer, with the option to buy the extended warranty, which I didn't take. I didn't find until later that the fridge was having issues. He ended up selling me an extended warranty, and had me come back 3 months later to repair the fridge. The price of the cooling unit was the same price as the warranty. I ended up ahead, because I had other issues fixed as well.

On a possibly unrelated note, they are out of business now.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have a good mom pop dealer here in ohio camper care deerfield ohio on rt 14

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
There is another way. I bought an RV that was sold through a dealer on consignment. The seller agreed to pay for any needed repairs so instead of needing an independent inspection, the dealer had an incentive to find anything that was wrong. I got an RV in like new condition at half price. It also helped that the dealer was honest with a long record of customer satisfaction: Truck Camper Warehouse.
That was a great idea...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is another way. I bought an RV that was sold through a dealer on consignment. The seller agreed to pay for any needed repairs so instead of needing an independent inspection, the dealer had an incentive to find anything that was wrong. I got an RV in like new condition at half price. It also helped that the dealer was honest with a long record of customer satisfaction: Truck Camper Warehouse.

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I don,t really know the answer,isn,t $500.bucks for a inspection a whole lot of money?

I thought so too. :E It was the only place to reply before I went to look at the RV. You can bet your sweet bippy I was going to get more quotes before saying yes to that one.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear about the honest salesperson. We just hear about the dishonest ones too often. Thanks for reminding us that there are many honest people out there.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don,t really know the answer,isn,t $500.bucks for a inspection a whole lot of money?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Used RV are like used cars. THEY WILL NEED REPAIRS ! For example, unless the previous owner did METICULOUS maintenance figure any RV over 5-8 years weill need a new roof. Not a "coating", a new roof !

The problem is on RVs it is easier for there to be SERIOUS hidden damage, especially if you don't know where to look !

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are some.. Generally smaller independent "Stores".
All I can say.. The big chains Tend to be Pushy.. And tend to sell you bad finance plans as well. like 30 year plan on a vehicle that they don't expect to last that long. (They don't know me very well 14 and counting).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Yes please. An honest dealer/salesman needs his info shouted from the rooftops on the hour.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going to share the name and location of the honest dealer?