cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticker price vs MSRP on trucks

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We thought these were the same, but vehicle shopping today seems it’s not any more... or was it ever??
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
21 REPLIES 21

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
When I ORDERED my 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 Laredo DRW Cummins 8' bed automatic 3:43 rear, the MSRP was $51,000.
I paid $44,000 cash.....no loans, no trade-in, I wrote a check.
No incentives, etc.
That is 14% off sticker.

97FLHTCUI
Explorer
Explorer
I just special ordered a 19 f350 XLT that stickers for 50,845 and the dealer is selling it to me for 44,814 with ford incentives and dealers. I think I am getting a great deal and ordered for me to boot.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Cash sale of a new vehicle runs 20-35% less than sticker, value of your trade in much less.

Awesome, the 2019 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch I have been looking at, with the sticker of $82000.00, can be had for $52000.00? I'll be there when they open.
You got to separate "Reality" from what you read on the internet.

Maybe $72,000.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the best deals can be found on the last selling day of the month and last selling day of the quarter. A dealer might have to sell one, just one more car and get a 25k bonus. That can drive a lot of incentive to make that one sale.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a regional thing. Around here they have always been used interchangeably. But, this is probably as muddy as the OP's post. What are they even asking? Monroney, sticker, MSRP all the same thing.

SoonerWing03 wrote:
Yesterday I purchased a 2019 F-250 Platinum (Black) for 68,500 out the door... which I believe is a pretty good deal. What I did was shop around using the internet and found the lowest internet price I could find within 500 miles. Using that price I then negotiated with a couple of sales guys at different dealerships within 100 - 200 miles to get the lowest price possible. I then took that price, which I had in an email, to local dealers giving them a chance to match or beat it so that I didn't have to drive far and luckily one did just that.

I'm not 100% sure that I got a smoking deal but I worked my butt off to get what I did so I am telling myself that I pretty much stole the truck from 'em.:B

IF it is a deal that YOU are happy with, Then it is a smoking hot deal ! !
You are all that matters

Enjoy that new truck, Safe Travels, Happy Camping !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I purchased a 2019 F-250 Platinum (Black) for 68,500 out the door... which I believe is a pretty good deal. What I did was shop around using the internet and found the lowest internet price I could find within 500 miles. Using that price I then negotiated with a couple of sales guys at different dealerships within 100 - 200 miles to get the lowest price possible. I then took that price, which I had in an email, to local dealers giving them a chance to match or beat it so that I didn't have to drive far and luckily one did just that.

My sales guy told me that nowadays dealerships make most of their money on used vehicles and the service department. However, being a sales guy myself, I don't trust one of them if their mouth is moving.

I'm not 100% sure that I got a smoking deal but I worked my butt off to get what I did so I am telling myself that I pretty much stole the truck from 'em.:B

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Cash sale of a new vehicle runs 20-35% less than sticker, value of your trade in much less.

Awesome, the 2019 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch I have been looking at, with the sticker of $82000.00, can be had for $52000.00? I'll be there when they open.

Get me one at that price! I’ll even pay you $5k for your troubles!

I'll take one as well.... Been thinking that I will jump when the 2020 guides come out..at 35% off, I may buy 2 ! !
Buy 3, you can sell 2 and You'll have enough money to pay for the 3rd one free and clear.

SouthpawHD wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

I'll take one as well.... Been thinking that I will jump when the 2020 guides come out..at 35% off, I may buy 2 ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:

Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
About the only thing listed prices for vehicles, "window sticker", "factory invoice", "MSRP" are good for is initial comparing of different vehicles.

Use the internet to shop around and get an idea of prices. Edmunds and similar sites are helpful, just remember - the dealers are WELL aware of those sites and adjust their prices accordingly. My local Ford dealer pretty much prices their vehicles according to Edmunds almost to the penny.

I like having an extended warranty to cover the vehicle while I am still making payments on it. You CAN negotiate the warranty price!! The last two vehicles I bought I got the extended warranties on them for about 1/2 the price that the dealer first quoted. You can actually buy real factory warranties over the internet from dealers all over the country, so shop around. In my case the dealer pretended to refuse to believe me until I showed him printouts of the warranties available over the internet, then he lowered his price.

The joy of financing - don't always assume you should never go with the factory finance plan. If you can wait when you are ready to buy, wait for a factory promotion that includes 0% (or something like 1%) financing. There are usually pages of restrictions (excellent credit score, only top luxury vehicles, etc) so make sure you understand what is required.

As much as possible, go in to the dealership knowing you will NOT buy that day! After going over the numbers with the salespeople, DO NOT sign anything, take the information home and think about it after you've calmed down. Don't worry about the vehicle being gone the next day - they will get another one.

After you've done the research, and gotten the price to where you think is good, then buy it and don't look back. Try to stop looking and comparing prices when your new vehicle is sitting in your driveway. Always, someone else got a better price, and another person paid more.

It is a game, a very costly game as you are dealing with very expensive vehicles with multiple year financing. Good luck - go in after doing some research, and try to enjoy the shenanigans the salespeople play!

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sticker price is normally the one used to show you inflated value for your trade in. Cash sale of a new vehicle runs 20-35% less than sticker, value of your trade in much less.
The kicker is that they want you to believe they are giving you top price for your trade in, when in reality they are giving you bottom dollar.
Research values, sell private, buy discounted. Keep the dealers income for yourself.

Yeah right, you wish
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:

You got to separate "Reality" from what you read on the internet.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the sticker showing the added dealer options and the increased price.