cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

De-laminating

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Greenhorn here. Yesterday I turned down buying an RV at a great price because it had a small amount of de-lamination on the driver side rear. It was clear that the roof had been recently repaired, so for arguments sake, let's assume there is no more leakage. There was nothing to see inside on the ceiling, wall or floor. Did I do the right thing? I've read de-lamination is a terrible-terrible issue to be avoided in a used RV at all costs.

I'm second guessing myself, as the rest of the RV is in very nice shape, and the miles are reasonable. 68 K on a Ford V-10 since 2011. I'm not going to run right back and put a deposit down anyway. Just wanting to hear opinions about delamination.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never consider an RV with delamination no matter what the price is.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Big_steve wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Without knowing how good of a deal, we can't tell you.

Realistically most fiberglass RV's over 5yr old have at least a little delamination (go walk around a park some time).

It's it's minor, has been sealed and you get a good price accounting for it go for it. Otherwise, you will have to go new and will still have some in a few years.

Now if it's a lot and you can see issue inside, that's a different ballgame.

NADA 48,000
Best listed price I saw nationwide was 39K
This one is listed at 30K Miles are 68K On a Ford V-10 engine.

If you like it otherwise, I would pay an RV tech a couple hundred to do a detailed pre-purchase inspection with a focus on that area.

Assuming small is say under 1 sft, if there aren't bigger issues hidden inside, you can most certainly fix or at least stabilize for a lot less than $9k.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Another point to consider is that aluminum skin trailers have the same water damage issues as the filon, it just is not as easily noticed on the exterior. Because of that, they probably require a closer inspection on the inside for damage.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water damage you can see is the Proverbial "Tip of the Iceberg" almost always.

While your patience may be tested in finding the right one, you made the right choice. Hang in there, keep looking and don't jump until you find the perfect one for you. Because if you settle, if you lose patience and buy something your not in love with and thrilled with, I promise you one that is perfect will become known to you within 90 days of your purchase. It's like the cute girl in high school you wanted to date breaks up with her boyfriend a month after you start dating someone new. Happens every single time, lol!
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Agree - good choice to keep looking. Hidden damage is almost always worse than what you see. Delamination often continues to expand, roof leak could mean soft spots, mold and more. Keep looking - happy hunting!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You made the right call. As others have said it's more about what you can't see that's the issue. Damage aside you also need to consider mold and rot. There are PLENTY of used units out there without issues to even consider one with issues unless it was a killer deal and you know how to tear it apart and fix it. Also remember that if you ever want to sell what it will do to your sale price if an issue is noticeable.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Realistically most fiberglass RV's over 5yr old have at least a little delamination (go walk around a park some time).

It's it's minor, has been sealed and you get a good price accounting for it go for it. Otherwise, you will have to go new and will still have some in a few years.

NADA 48,000
Best listed price I saw nationwide was 39K
This one is listed at 30K Miles are 68K On a Ford V-10 engine.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone else said, there is usually a lot more damage that you can not see. If you are new to this, you probably made the right decision. If the price was right for someone with more experience and time, their decision might be different. Another question is how much damage are you willing to live with and nobody can answer that question but you.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If you see a little damage, that means there is more damage that you can't see. If the roof was leaking, and the water damage you see is at the bottom, then there is wet stuff inside the wall. It is ALWAYS worse than it looks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You made the right decision. That water damage meant that the structural integrity of the wall in that area has been compromised. The area of damage you can see is probably much less than what is damaged and you can't see.