Explorer
Explorer
Boil the water first? I must have done something wrong :@
25 REPLIES 25

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Hot water will lose heat faster than cold water. (It has more heat to lose)
It does not freeze solid any faster than a equal amount of cold water when placed in the freezer at the same time

Rather amazingly this is not the case. I would have agreed with you not so long ago but then the Mpenda Effect happened. Some youngster actually tested this and got people to listen to his results.

Any chemist will tell you that water is a very strange material that behaves in a way that is the opposite of what is expected. Ice floats for example, not the normal. If not for this Oddity Life would not exist here.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MrWizard
Hot water will lose heat faster than cold water. (It has more heat to lose)
It does not freeze solid any faster than a equal amount of cold water when placed in the freezer at the same time
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gasses do NOT 'dissipate' from a bottle of water. They will enter equilibrium state with the concentration of air around 35-45 ppm. Depends on temp. How would fish survive in a still pond otherwise??
Superbumper

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I wonder what happens if you fill a pitcher with water and set it in the refrigerator for a day or so to let any air dissipate before freezing.

I wonder if the boiling theory is saying that the hot water will freeze faster than the cold water which somehow contributes to clear ice?

Just thinking now, this sounds like a perfect science fair experiment for a kid. Do different waters make different opacity ice cubes?

As far as soft water, I have it in my house and would never be without. But I definitely don't like the taste nor the idea of the added salt. So I ran a separate line for the cold water from before the softener to the kitchen faucet which also feeds the ice maker. It was probably $50 in pipe and a few hours time.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Magnesium? I remember in one ER a doctor remarked "Why are you requesting a magnesium count on your blood labs? Magnesium is the most abundant element on earth!"

Magnesium stopped my atrial fibrillation episodes and I had run out in Mexico. A week after heading for the USA I found myself in the Sebastopol CA hospital. For AFIB.

Two hours later the doctor returned with my labs, "One?!? he commented. How can you have a '1'?" (Normal is six to 9). He handed me an Rx for 200 mg of magnesium. I chucked the sheaf of cardiac Rx's into waste can then ordered 4,000 tablets of Magnesium Oxide 500 mg. on Amazon. Since I had a 3-lead pacemaker implanted 2 years ago, I still am fearful of stopping the magnesium.

When I had labs done here in Mexico on my dime ($11.00 us) magnesium was a solid '7' but I take the supplement every other day. I have been consuming purified water R/O for almost thirty years.

I have learned a lesson. Have labs report on magnesium and potassium. USA doctors would spot low levels immediately but few blood labs include these tests. Removing natural magnesium and potassium further by filtration would be a mistake. But potassium supplements are uselessly tiny. Drink orange juice and eat bananas.

Useless info? I have had FOUR people write me with thanks and say magnesium supplements utterly stopped their AFIB episodes.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the most part, away from some of the big blue cities anyway, municipal drinking water. The stuff the city pipes to your house. Is perfectly safe, it is frequently tested for 126+ pollutants. The hardness is adjusted. The water is filtered and chlorinated. Chlorine levels are frequently checked in the pipes far from the treatment plant. And the USEPA and state environmental (again most of them) agencies watch this very closely. The lab workers and the guys running the plant are certified individually and are required to take classes to keep up with reg changes. The water labs are required to pass blind samples and the labs are physically inspected by on site inspection teams. They also go over all the required paperwork and it is a bunch of paper.

How do I know this? I was a Lab Technical Director that went thru all this. The books of regulations that we had to follow in minute detail were when stacked up are about 18 inches high. And we had to watch the Federal Register for any rule changes.

How much of this happens with your RO unit???
Superbumper

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
If you have tap water that filthy you have other problems in a very big way. You must have been listening to the Culligan adverts, which are as close to lies as they can get away with. I was trained as an environmental engineer if you want to question my expertise. The Culligan adverts lie in other ways, have you ever considered how stupid it is to remove Calcium and magnesium from your drinking water and add Sodium (which is supposedly bad for you). And TAKE Calcium/Magnesium pills at the same time??

My dad was a Culligan installer/field tech for 37 years before retiring....

I heard him say for years and years and years and more years.... Soft water was never meant to be drinking water.... I'm really surprised with your training that you didn't know that....

He always said soft water is a wonderful thing... But you can't drink it... You must add a RO unit or buy bottled water....

My 30 year old softener recently gave our... (parts are no longer available)... I had no problem shelling out the 3K for a new culligan.... But for drinking water my culligan RO is priceless...
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad

wrote:
Not sure of the point but boiling the water first, will help assure it is safer to drink.

Esp in Mexico...:B

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like it works. Iโ€™m going to try this.

Iโ€™ll report back. Hold your breath.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I will need to give that a try when I get back from the next trip.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
As I understand it, if you freeze the water in one direction, if gives the gasses room to escape.

See here for one way to do this, he used regular tap water.

clicky

Sorry I'm on my phone, can't make it a click.

Has anyone watched this?

clicky

Is it fake, if so, how?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Use Reverse osmosis (RO) water. It has a membrane filter that will remove most of the dissolved solids ( minerals) I have an RO filter in my house and have debated installing on the RV but have not done it. The RO system is installed under the sink and has a separate small faucet on the counter. Most water you buy from kiosks is ROFiltered. Read the label on bottled water. Most is RO filtered .
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just read a Modern (meaning not written by Sir Arthur) Sherlock Holmes story "The Purloined Eggplant"
A necklace nicknamed the Eggplant necklace was stolen, Diamonds and a stone that resembles an eggplant. The necklace was sunk in a glass of punch. the punch was the same color as the "Eggplant" stone and the diamonds.. The ice in the drink.

Sherlock did not understand why the ice had sunk to the bottom But when he figured it out.. Well "Elementary" as they say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Boiling water only kills the bacteria. it won't eliminate the particulates in water. That is what clouds ice cubes, the more cloudy the cubes are the more junk is in your tap water! :B

If you have tap water that filthy you have other problems in a very big way. You must have been listening to the Culligan adverts, which are as close to lies as they can get away with. I was trained as an environmental engineer if you want to question my expertise. The Culligan adverts lie in other ways, have you ever considered how stupid it is to remove Calcium and magnesium from your drinking water and add Sodium (which is supposedly bad for you). And TAKE Calcium/Magnesium pills at the same time??

That sounds too much like common sense, it can't be true!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed