cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using propane for fridge

kbottcher
Explorer
Explorer
I use propane side of fridge to get it cold before we camp.I know i need battery to turn fridge on.Can i use battery disconnect to turn battery off then, or will the fridge then not run?
thanks in advance
Kerry
9 REPLIES 9

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
To clarify:

Yes, your refrigerator must have 12 VDC to operate on either 120 VAC or propane. It powers the PC board.

The real question comes in as to how your coach is wired. Some wire 12 VDC to the refrigerator through the salesman switch, some provide an alternate direct routing so that you can turn off the salesman switch to kill lights, etc and have the refrigerator remain running.

Simple to determine. Turn off the salesman switch and see if the refrigerator still works.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Even if you run the fridge on propane you need 12v power to the fridge. No power, no Fridge.

X2. Rule of thumb: if you lose 12v power, the only thing that will work is your stove.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
He's gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the fridge to be absolutely precise. Some (old) models did not have any electrical control circuitry for operation on gas, and so did not need battery power; you just opened a gas valve and lit the flame and maybe adjusted its size to control how much cooling you got.

Most if not all current models have electronic controls that need 12V power regardless of whether the fridge is operating in gas mode, 120V mode, or 12V mode if it's a three-way fridge. Almost certainly your fridge is in this category and does require some 12V power to operate.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The control panel for the fridge runs on electricity. It doesn't draw much power, but it does need a little!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My fridge turns off if I cycle the battery disconnect switch to the off position.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if you run the fridge on propane you need 12v power to the fridge. No power, no Fridge.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dunno. Try it. If the interior light doesn't come on, no. Why does your profile show a website that's just a IP address?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman