cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator powers tv, microwave, nothing else

Cougargm
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned to PA from FLorida last month and everything electrical except the power steps were working fine. We took the Class C to a local RV dealer to get the steps fixed and the slideout lubricated.
I tried the slide out with the genny on and it wouldn't work. I then noticed the lights wouldn't work with the genny on, either. Only the microwave and tv were working. THe overhead lights and the slideout worked fine with the house battery. THe dealer was closed when I got there to pick it up so I couldn't ask him or have him look at it. Any ideas on what the problems could be?
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The converter charges batteries no matter if on shore or generator power. The Generator does not. itself. charge the batterie. it just runs the converter

Generators usually have TWO circuit breakers TWO.. One may be tripped costing you half your systems. Has happened to me more times than I care to count in 15 years of driving a class A.

True story. was ask to help with an electrical issue "Half my outlets don't work" He had an inverter.. Sure enough it had TWO breakers. if you can not figure out the rest then I can't help you either.

The fun part (the punch line) however is different
He re-entered the RV at my request to check.. His wife ask if I thought I could help. his reply was "He's already fixed it".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm, I have had converters (don't know what my 2010 is like since it has not given any problems in my 2010 fifth wheel). However i have had one go out in an older 5th wheel and it was the style that did plug into a receptacle adjacent to it.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm, I have had converters (don't know what my 2010 is like since it has not given any problems in my 2010 fifth wheel). However i have had one go out in an older 5th wheel and it was the style that did plug into a receptacle adjacent to it.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Cougargm wrote:
We just returned to PA from FLorida last month and everything electrical except the power steps were working fine. We took the Class C to a local RV dealer to get the steps fixed and the slideout lubricated.
I tried the slide out with the genny on and it wouldn't work. I then noticed the lights wouldn't work with the genny on, either. Only the microwave and tv were working. THe overhead lights and the slideout worked fine with the house battery. THe dealer was closed when I got there to pick it up so I couldn't ask him or have him look at it. Any ideas on what the problems could be?

Slide and lights are 12 volts. Genny won't help with that. Microwave and TV are 120 volts. Check the 120 volt breaker labeled converter. Check the battery disconnect switch.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
You have lost 120v input to the converter, so there is no output to run 12v items from the converter, even with no battery.

Check the 120v breaker for the converter, and also if the converter is plugged into a wall receptacle, whether that is on a GFCI circuit that might have its GFCI popped.

Converter would be hard wired into shore power. It converts 120 volts to 12 volts and charges the battery. It has nothing to do with the GFI circuit.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have lost 120v input to the converter, so there is no output to run 12v items from the converter, even with no battery.

Check the 120v breaker for the converter, and also if the converter is plugged into a wall receptacle, whether that is on a GFCI circuit that might have its GFCI popped.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.