Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Costco battery?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Costco battery?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tripalot wrote:

Those batteries are too heavy to be hauling around to compare. We found even with taking a picture of the label and trying to find similar at Costco was nothing more than frustrating.

Also batteries are "types" and have numbers that indicate their type and usage/application. All G24/G27 batteries and automotive batteries from various manufactures are designed to be both similar in performance and size depending on their application. How do you think they all manage to get one that fits in similar vehicles and has the rated capacity to start them?

Again, research is the key.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't this like re-splitting split hairs? I rechecked several times and cannot find any issues of consequence. Why wouldn't a person purchase an RV battery.

There is one exception in my book. A power pole princess that is never moved.

Longer warranty and a what-the-hell few dollars cheaper. That does not seem to be the case here.

And the lack of a pimple faced self appointed expert who has reached the epitome of his life's career reaching minimum wage status at a chain store. Like a fashion expert at a Goodwill store?

Tough to beat a Costco warranty. In Mexico I ask for help with heavy items. They help with a smile.

"Should I choose Sam's Club or Costco catsup? it's a quandary I tell ya"

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

My TT needs a new battery. I am not normally boon docking it, yet, so I only need a battery for the typical load of it sitting unplugged from shore power. So, which Costco battery should I get?

Do not suggest other places as I am in Canada, and don't have Autozones, Pepboys, etc...

Do not suggest the 2 6 volt set up as that is not my need.

You should get a dual purpose starting/marine battery. I'll bet Costco only has one marine battery on the shelves and that is the one you're going to want.

If you want to find a standard automotive starting battery the standard battery box will comfortably fit a group 24 of 24F starting battery. The only difference between the two batteries is what side of the batteries have the positive and negative terminals. So the terminals on a 24F are reversed from a 24. Aside from the reversed terminals the batteries are the same. All that said, for a standard group 24 size battery you want to look on the battery rack at COSTCO for fitment code 22 (group 24 battery) or fitment code 23 (group 24F battery)

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will want something like this:

Group 24:
https://www.costco.com/Interstate-24DC-Marine--RV-Battery.product.100476410.html

Group 27:
https://www.costco.com/Interstate-27DC-Marine--RV-Battery.product.100476408.html

You want a "Marine" battery as it can handle deep cycling better than a standard automobile battery.

However, the actual size of battery will depend on how much room you currently have for a battery. You need to figure out the group size of your current battery. Perhaps your battery box is actually large enough for a bigger battery than what you currently have in the box? If so you might install a larger battery.

For example, my Class C RV originally had a somewhat small house battery installed under the hood. I relocated the connection to install two Group 29 Marine batteries (from Walmart)in battery boxes in a cargo bay under the RV.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

My TT needs a new battery. I am not normally boon docking it, yet, so I only need a battery for the typical load of it sitting unplugged from shore power. So, which Costco battery should I get?

Do not suggest other places as I am in Canada, and don't have Autozones, Pepboys, etc...

Nickel Belt Camping is an RV Care dealer in your area that sells Traveler's Choice branded deep cycle batteries, both flooded and AGM, that are in fact DEKA batteries manufactured by East Penn, the largest battery manufacturer in the US. If you have any subsequent issues with the battery you can drop by any one of the 60+ RV Care dealers across Canada for warranty coverage which IIRC is 2 yrs.

Ironic you mention that, I live very close to there.

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

azrving wrote:

A group 27. Marine/RV

Group 27

Sam's clubs do not exist here.

As I stated before C-O-S-T-C-O

ITS AN EXAMPLE OF A GROUP 27 BATTERY RV MARINE. MY GOD this is not all that difficult. Probably the most used size unless your RV or dealer was cheap cheap cheap then you got a 24.

* This post was edited 05/23/19 05:15pm by azrving *

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, i went to check Costco. They only have 14 and 15 code batteries.

Will those work? If not, off to Canadian Tire or Walmart.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

So, i went to check Costco. They only have 14 and 15 code batteries.

Will those work? If not, off to Canadian Tire or Walmart.

Yes. This one is their "15" EG.

https://www.costco.ca/Automotive%2c-Mari........lf-Cart-Batteries.product.100017095.html

EDIT--link didn't work right. they don't ship flooded batts. Anyway yes, you want their Kirkland Marine/RV flooded in 24 or 27 size.

* This post was edited 05/23/19 06:22pm by BFL13 *

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Marine/rv group 24 in a cargo trailer and am happy with it. For an rv I would for sure try for the larger group 27 batt they sell for a few dollars more.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the largest battery that will fit in your box. Don't waste your money on a "marine" battery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Costco battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS