cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Boosters

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
What is the latest on WiFi boosters? Anyone have good or bad experiences with them? I see many new higher end coaches are coming with them. Reading the reviews on Amazon, PCMag and CNet, I see almost as many people who don't like them as think they are great. Some of these devices have to wire direct via USB to your computer, some are stand alone, some have rooftop antennas, some don't.. If one works, I'd like to permanently install it in our motorhome. So many different types out there it's beyond confusing.
9 REPLIES 9

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I currently use a Ubiquiti Nanostation combined with an Air Cube router for WiFi. At Quartzsite, I was able to connect to the local Pilot close to a mile away. The Nanostation does require a bit of configuration - a useful YouTube post explains setting it up is at the Outside Our Bubble website..

As others have said, the biggest problem with WiFi is usually the available bandwidth. I do use the Nanostation at places where there is WiFi but no cell coverage, but like others, prefer a Jetpack or Mobley using Verizon or AT&T.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Gary,

WeBoost are great, but they are only for cellphone signals.

If you are trying to do better with campground WiFi, the first thing to do is to look at the signal strength display on your device. If it is more than one bar, the booster will only serve to frustrate you. If there is signal, but no bandwidth (speed) then the system is overloaded. Most are most of the time.

If signal strength is a problem and you are not a homesteader, then look up Alfa 036(XXX) units on Ebay. They are inexpensive and very portable.

If you really need wire (internet), then you really should investigate cell service.

Do I need to say BTDT???

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
We permanently installed the WeBoost in our FW and there's an antenna mounted to the roof. It works. As the name implies, it boosts what little signal is there. If no signal, it won't work. As opposed to a mifi - that you pay service for, you don't have to pay service on the WeBoost.

Is there a new version out that does WiFi? WeBoost that I am aware of boosts/repeats cell signal.

Not sure The dome is $369 and the 3 antenna one is $750. Doug

Doug, Yes. Winegard has those out. My question was to the quoted from ReneeG. I thought WeBoost was only cell repeater.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
AllegroD wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
We permanently installed the WeBoost in our FW and there's an antenna mounted to the roof. It works. As the name implies, it boosts what little signal is there. If no signal, it won't work. As opposed to a mifi - that you pay service for, you don't have to pay service on the WeBoost.

Is there a new version out that does WiFi? WeBoost that I am aware of boosts/repeats cell signal.

Not sure The dome is $369 and the 3 antenna one is $750. Doug

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I see Winegard has 2 different systems. A "dome" type and a 3 antenna one. Are they basically the same thing?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget that it won't help speed up the local campground wifi, it will only help you access it more reliably.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Winegard roof top Antenna WIFI system works great. It works 2 ways.
1. Takes the local WIFI and rebroadcasts it in the area in and around your RV
2. You can also get an "aircard" from your Cell phone provider and THAT gets the 4G and rebroadcasts it inside your RV and outside also. This is for when in transit or you are not close to a WIFI signal. Doug