cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel or TT?

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Question for folks who've towed both 5th wheels and travel trailers.

Greenhorn here. Wondering which you prefer to tow? And why? I'm looking for opinions about hooking up, driving, unhook, backing, cornering etc... Not so much about the size or comfort of one coach over another.

Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Big steve, you're running the gamut here on RV types. Based on your questions, you don't have much if any experience with large vehicles, towing, etc.

If that assumption is correct, or even if incorrect, first think about "how" you plan on using the RV.
Touring the country weeks or months at a time? Few trips to the state park up the road a year? Destination camper, go somewhere, park the RV and stay a while? Driving to get somewhere (main highways/freeways primarily) or like to get off the beaten path (county roads, forest roads)? Terrain, driving around the flat part of the country or headed straight up the side of the first mountain you see? Bringing a golf cart/wheeler/SxS or bikes?

Once you've decided how you plan on using the RV, that will help decide which type offers the most conveniences and least downsides.

Back to your actual question, I'd finger out if you're comfortable hooking a big trailer, any type and taking off down the road, rush hour traffic, backing into or out of tight spots. Bumper pull or 5th wheel both require some skill that you'll have to acquire.
This is probably the best answer so far. Depends on what you want to do. A fiver would never fit in most of the places I take my travel trailer simply because they are too tall. They also don't track right behind the tow vehicle like the trailer, so they won't fit as well on a narrow, winding forest service roads. As I'm getting older and starting to lean more toward travel and destination, fifth wheels get more attractive. But even then, I have to temper what kinds of toys I might want to bring along. ATVs or motorcycles are not part of a typical fiver outing, but are easily doable with a travel trailer.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The TT gives you more flexibility. You can tow it with a Truck, SUV, Van, cargo truck, equipment truck, etc etc etc.. pretty much any decent half ton and up vehicle with an adequate receiver hitch and a brake controller can get the Job done in a pinch.

With a fifth wheel, you are limited to a heavy truck and it must have a fifth wheel hitch.

JMHO

But TT for me. Set the hitch up right and match the truck and the trailer and you are good to go.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
5er hands down for towing. No contest IMO. I had two TT's then a 5er and now back to a TT. 5er's just naturally tow straighter easier. No add on's needed.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
So to answer OP's question, and focus on towing, not comfort, or stairs (or lack thereof) etc..

I've owned both. Currently on my first 5er.

I prefer the 5er towing experience. TT tow experience was fine when trailer is setup properly, but 5er is more stable in my opinion, especially in windy conditions.

Backing up - 5er is different. Took me some time to get used to it. Not really more difficult, just different. Think the TT reacted quicker to input.

Turning - 5er turns INSIDE the track of the truck. So, you have to take turns wider to avoid curbing the tires.

Other than that, pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been to a number of RV shows now and in 'n out of many TTs and FWs. What DW and I don't like is the extra steps inside a FW, esp. with the bedroom being up front. The front living area FWs are pretty cool tho. Cabinets can be higher off the floor and height-challenged people may need a step stool.

One-level-living in a TT is a big plus for us, esp. when getting up in the night. FWs are typically a bit higher off the ground and the extra height can be a nuisance for some people. Our 15 year old dog can't get up and down the steps in our TT by himself now and I have to lift him. If I had to lift him even more steps up to the front, that'd be a killer for my back.

Never towed a FW, but if a person takes the time to do all the "right stuff" to a TT, there should be little or no sway. Our 29' TT has no sway and handles great on twisty/bumpy mountain roads and is a pleasure to tow. TTs are harder to tow in high gusting winds but a FW with it's higher height is more susceptible to being blown clear over in high side winds.

I've seen a few people in CGs mess up their tailgates when hitching up and cause expensive damage. Hard to do with a TT but it takes practice to get the hang of quickly aligning and backing up the ball on a TV to the coupler.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Came from a 21ft bumper pull TH to a 31ft 5er TH and would do it again in a heartbeat. If you have enough truck the 5er is the way to go IMO.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Depends what you want .I got them both and I will never buy a TT.FW tow safer and it have more storage outside.The only disadvantage for me is that it cost more.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My choice is a TT due to the height of 5ers and my camping style.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Backing a Ball mount/TT is "EASIER" but that's where the advantage ENDS!

TT's are prone to sway unless you have PLENTY of truck. 5er's tow like they are not back there.

MUCH more storage in a 5er. OH, TT people will say OMG there are stairs inside! What the HE!! do ya think you are climbing into each one???

List goes on and on.

Lol! You couldnโ€™t be more wrong on all accounts but please, go on and on and enlighten us. Iโ€™ve owned four 5th wheels. Never have had a problem with sway, stairs, backing or lack of enough truck with a TT or 5th wheel. Maybe youโ€™re doing it wrong. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Big steve, you're running the gamut here on RV types. Based on your questions, you don't have much if any experience with large vehicles, towing, etc.

If that assumption is correct, or even if incorrect, first think about "how" you plan on using the RV.
Touring the country weeks or months at a time? Few trips to the state park up the road a year? Destination camper, go somewhere, park the RV and stay a while? Driving to get somewhere (main highways/freeways primarily) or like to get off the beaten path (county roads, forest roads)? Terrain, driving around the flat part of the country or headed straight up the side of the first mountain you see? Bringing a golf cart/wheeler/SxS or bikes?

Once you've decided how you plan on using the RV, that will help decide which type offers the most conveniences and least downsides.

Back to your actual question, I'd finger out if you're comfortable hooking a big trailer, any type and taking off down the road, rush hour traffic, backing into or out of tight spots. Bumper pull or 5th wheel both require some skill that you'll have to acquire.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
I have had both. First TT was in 1980's. Get a GOOD TT hitch like an Hensley or a ProPride. Sure they cost $ but not much more than a 5er hitch.

With a cheep TT hitch and a poorly loaded TT (yes I have had each) there will be lots of White Knuckle Events while towing.

With a good TT hitch there is really no reason to choose between a 5er and TT. They tow about the same. Each takes about the same time to "learn" how to hook up and back up.

On one trip with my Hensley Arrow a wheel can off my TT while I was driving 70 MPH. I did not know it until a car pass me and flagged me down.

Have to agree with this (except for the driving 70), but we too have had both. We purchased a fifth wheel for the room versus the overall length. Our last TT was a 32' Komfort and we purchased a Hensley Arrow to tow it. Made a HUGE difference. When we traded in the TT for our FW, we also traded in our Arrow for the Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 and they mean it when they say it is a trailer saver. It controls the chucking, but then our FW has the suspension to assist with this too. As for backing. I tried to do the backing, but never mastered it, as DH has. The response is slower, but once you get the hang of it as far as turning and backing you'll get it. We went to a school parking lot and practiced with cones.

With a TT, you have the bed of a truck and with a FW, you lose a good portion of the bed, but still have some room for cargo.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do yourself a favor and do a search for bucking and chucking.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Backing a Ball mount/TT is "EASIER" but that's where the advantage ENDS!

TT's are prone to sway unless you have PLENTY of truck. 5er's tow like they are not back there.

MUCH more storage in a 5er. OH, TT people will say OMG there are stairs inside! What the HE!! do ya think you are climbing into each one???

List goes on and on.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TT or 5er? 2007
5er v TT Aug2011
5er v TT Oct2014
5er vs TT June 2016
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman