cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tiny Soldering "gun"?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am working on micro-size parts that challenge perspective perspectives when trying to describe to others. Imagine an EIGHT conductor plug that can fit perhaps 15 (or 20) pieces atop a postage stamp. Remember, each plug has eight pins. Jeez now to describe the pins ๐Ÿ˜ž

It's all loupe or six diopter reading glasses and tweezers work.

And sadly even a 15 watt adjustable (in the handle) soldering pencil type iron is like using the perspective of a male Chihuahua using a redwood tree. Overkill city. The fools should have chosen nylon instead of the plastic body plug housing. The connector is referred to as a HIROSE. A touch too much heat and the plastic warps and melts.

Any leads on where to browse mini soldering aids would be appreciated. I am using 25 gauge silicone wires to attach to the pins. (This is for a remote controls for a 150 amp Meanwell battery charger)
18 REPLIES 18

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Oh.. Not exactly the topic but related.. I needed an iron/gun that coudl handle 10-12-14 Ga Wires..

Benz-o-matic.. NOT a propane torch with a soldering tip but a honest to electronics soldering iron. Designed specifically to solder not "Adapted"

Does a fantastic job.. Eats butane. but man does it deliver the needed BTUs.

Harbor Freight sells a knock-off of (what I assume to be) this little gizmo, for a quite reasonable price, and it also works a treat...and likewise eats butane. Having no power cord to deal with is at times a great advantage.

I saw the other day that Ryobi introduced a little AC inverter unit (about 150 Watts, if memory serves) as part of their 18V cordless tool line. That would similarly be mighty handy at times for soldering in odd places, using a traditional iron. I haven't seen a similar gizmo for other cordless tool systems, though I can't say I've particularly been looking for one either since I only have Ryobi batteries and tools.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico?

Vice grips, nail, butane torch, fishing tackle weights?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
for close spacing soldering a "new" techinque was developed decades ago.

Years ago I did a lot of soldering. both point to point wireing (IE: Tube Sockets) and PC board.

On these modern surface mount.. With these late 60's eyes.. I too use a new if somewhat more expensive, technique.. I pay for someone else to do it.

Some day I need to do the low-noise mod to a Kenwood TS-2000.. That is like 2 dozen surface mount diodes.. NO WAY am I even going to attempt.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Don't like to clean constantly overheated soldering tips ๐Ÿ˜ž

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh.. Not exactly the topic but related.. I needed an iron/gun that coudl handle 10-12-14 Ga Wires..

Benz-o-matic.. NOT a propane torch with a soldering tip but a honest to electronics soldering iron. Designed specifically to solder not "Adapted"

Does a fantastic job.. Eats butane. but man does it deliver the needed BTUs.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent for when a controlled amount of solder is needed. Closeout item-when they are gone no more will be made. Pellets are approx .500 x .100 x .030 thick. Melting point is 300 degrees. This alloy contains 50% tin, 32% lead & 18% cadmium. For all your manufacturing needs please visit alcanjewelrysupply.com. Contact us for possible volume discounts..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solder-pellets-low-melt-approx-500-x-100-x-030-1-lb-bags/223372160340?hash=...

DANGER! Poisonous to breathe smoke! A paper medical mask MUST BE WORN WHILE SOLDERING because of the CADMIUM CONTENT!!!

That being said this stuff is near miraculous when soldering near plastic. 300F is what, almost 50F lower than 63/37 electronics solder.

Melt a pellet onto the tip then transfer to the work.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
'decades 'ago'

THAT'S ME !!!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
for close spacing soldering a "new" techinque was developed decades ago. We used it in reworking IC's. We had deviced with leads on 10 mil centers. Use a hot air gun to remove the device. Dispense strip of solder paste using a sirenge, place the part reasonably accurate on the pads. Use the heat gun to melt the solder, the device will center itself, solder will wick up and not bridge any pads.

Hot air soldering station systems are readily available for the kind of rework you are looking at. Much better than ever trying to solder individual leads.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
After a few tens of millions of solder joins (15,000 alternators drag boats like the Kelley II, soldering is not unknown to me :). But finding a non clumsy heating tip is/was a challenge. If the 5vdc unit heats up fast enough I'll use a foot switch on the AC to 5 volt power supply.

When they were wheeling me into the surgery ward for a pacemaker implant, I yelled "STOP!" at the doorway.

Over the table was a monitor that must have measured 80" x 30" probably at 10x diopter. A cellphone is way too small of a display but a gooseneck camera and a 24" flat panel isn't. Now to find the parts...

At surgery someone quipped "Anxiety Attack" and the next thing I knew I woke up 2 hours later. They had jabbed the IV with some unknown drug. Explaining it to the recovery RN was fruitless. She kept giving me knowing looks.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
After a few tens of millions of solder joins (15,000 alternators drag boats like the Kelley II, soldering is not unknown to me :). But finding a non clumsy heating tip is/was a challenge. If the 5vdc unit heats up fast enough I'll use a foot switch on the AC to 5 volt power supply.

When they were wheeling me into the surgery ward for a pacemaker implant, I yelled "STOP!" at the doorway.

Over the table was a monitor that must have measured 80" x 30" probably at 10x diopter. A cellphone is way too small of a display but a gooseneck camera and a 24" flat panel isn't. Now to find the parts...

At surgery someone quipped "Anxiety Attack" and the next thing I knew I woke up 2 hours later. They had jabbed the IV with some unknown drug. Explaining it to the recovery RN was fruitless. She kept giving me knowing looks.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I am working on micro-size parts that challenge perspective perspectives when trying to describe to others. Imagine an EIGHT conductor plug that can fit perhaps 15 (or 20) pieces atop a postage stamp. Remember, each plug has eight pins. Jeez now to describe the pins ๐Ÿ˜ž

First, before solder each joint CLEAN THE TIP ! Use a damp sponge or a damp rag to wipe it clean. The tip should be shiny with solder before attempting a connection. You need an iron with some kind of heat control. Either feedback to a built in temperature controller or even the old fashioned irons that the Curie Point to control temp.

Second, use the "old fashion" tin/lead solder. Anything else is a pain in the butt ! Available on eBay for sure.

What most "makers" on YouTube use is a TS80 or a TS100. Not cheap. https://oscarliang.com/ts80-soldering-iron-ts100/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't now about irons (though you can use your dremel to modifiy the tip) but WEN used to have a model 45.. This was rater a different 0.45 amp Soldering gun. Shaped like a classic 6-shooter type 45 of course (they really played up that 45 part) What more can I say about it.. Not much.

But I suspect it would be too big. and I broke the tips far too easily.

There are some nice battery powered jobs might meet your needs Again Wen (and Weller) both make 'em.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps off-topic a bit, but...

The nicest soldering iron I ever used (for both teeny or not-so-teeny parts, depending on the tip installed) was a Metcal smartheat unit. There are some very tiny tips available for it--and, indeed, for many decent soldering stations. I will admit that it was most annoying that the stereo microscope magnified the soldering iron tip as well as the connectors and other parts, though.

These Metcal irons use a unique and clever system to heat. The heating element, if you want to call it that, is basically just a piece of some metal alloy that has a Curie point of the desired temperature, which is inductively heated using ultrasonic or RF frequencies via a coil wrapped around it. When the temperature rises to the Curie point, it ceases to be magnetically reactive and the heating stops, making the metal in the tip its own thermostat. It works really nicely in practice: fast heat-up, very good regulation, intrinsically correct temperature calibration, and quite good heating response under load. They were (and are) not particularly inexpensive, of course.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
USB yet, you will be able to solder without powering the device down. ๐Ÿ™‚