Spartan ?

DynoMax ?

Workhorse Custom ?

Others ?
24 REPLIES 24

paddock_rat
Explorer
Explorer
Are you are advocating for a solid steer axles vs. IFS because of fewer moving parts? I am old enough to remember solid front axles on the Dodge M-series chassis as well as the Rockwell front axle used on vintage Newells and I believe on older Prevosts.

On the bigger coaches of the mid-to-late 1970s (like a 1976 Executive) with the Dodge chassis, unless an aftermarket Positrol spring-loaded front suspension stabilizer was added, crossing railroad tracks often induced a front end shimmy that required stopping and starting again. The Rockwell axles axles required the bearing to be repacked on a scheduled basis. After Rockwell went to oiled front axle bearings, oil would seep out in hot weather at highway speeds, never enough to cause a mechanical issue but unsightly to be sure.

The IFS systems were much more maintenance free right from their introduction on motorhomes, they ride and steer better, and they allow for a greater steering cut angle for a shorter turning radius. The next steps include computer controlled active suspension, active tag axle steering, and Dana electric column drive steering. But as I recall, this thread started with the search for a great used coach, so that last good stuff may have to wait.

Bruce_Brown
Ivylog wrote:
10+ years ago I looked at a F or maybe S bare chassis with IFS. I counted 16 additional pivots/moving parts over a solid axle... no thanks. I believe someone has put the steering gear box in the middle of the IFS reducing the count by 5. so only 11additional...still no thanks. The good news is most will never put enough miles to where the additional parts will need replacing.

On the bold part above, that kind of makes it a complete non-issue then, doesn't it? :w
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
10+ years ago I looked at a F or maybe S bare chassis with IFS. I counted 16 additional pivots/moving parts over a solid axle... no thanks. I believe someone has put the steering gear box in the middle of the IFS reducing the count by 5. so only 11additional...still no thanks. The good news is most will never put enough miles to where the additional parts will need replacing.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
My vote goes for NEWELL :C
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

paddock_rat
Explorer
Explorer
Good clarification. That said, the point I was trying to make and did not do very clearly is that I don't think 10 airbags is necessarily better than 8, sold front axles included.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
โ€œOnly 8 airbags, not 10โ€. You inaccurately assume the OP is looking at newer DPs. He is not as he included Roadmaster and Dynomax in his question. Yes, โ€œcurrentlyโ€ the big three are no longer on 10 airbags after years of using 10...the difference is ZF does not use a solid front axle. I know were Iโ€™d try and put the 2 extra ones.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

paddock_rat
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
10 airbags...Prevost, Newell, Foretravel, Monaco Roadmaster which includes 2004+ Beaver, HR, Safari all on the RR10S for the handling and 9,000+ of CCC. The newest Monaco is NOT on a RR10S chassis.

At this time, there are only four three axle pusher chassis available in the motorhome market, Freightliner (owned by Daimler Benz), Spartan, Prevost, and Newell.

10 air bags? No currently available chassis uses 10. Nor I suggest is this relevant to the "best chassis" discussion.

ZF (Germany) manufactures the most advanced coach suspension systems in the world, and are used world-wide by top-tier coach builders. ZF suspensions are available to the motorhome manufacturers (optionally) with computer-controlled suspension, and active or passive tag axle steering. (Only one chassi/motorhome manufacturer includes either ZF computer controlled suspension and active tag axle steering--guess who).

But back to the number of air bags. ZF independent front suspension has two air bags, their highest capacity drive axle suspension has four air bags (mounted outboard ahead of and behind the drive axle), and their tag axle has two air bags. That is 8 air bags total.

For those wanting 10 air bags, where would the other two go?

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Magnum chassis by SMC were on several late 90s early 2k Safaris, Beavers and some Harneys. CAT 3126, Allison 3000 series, exhaust brake. Built specifically for motor homes. The biggest issue was the rear radiator/CAC getting plugged up with road grime and oil. Just stay away from the torsilastic suspension.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
X2 On what Dennis said.
My is Gillig and it's the best. lmao

I have also owned the worse a P30
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

zxer
Explorer
Explorer
navigator2346 wrote:
DynoMax

Anything special about the Dyno as opposed to the others ?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Between Spartan and Freightliner, there was a time when the Spartan was optional on some coaches and never knew one to not have a side radiator, whereas most all the FL's had a rear radiator and were mainly found on entry and mid entry level coaches.
Nowadays, it seems that FL has the better chassis available as well, so most sure, there's not much of a difference.
Foretravel has partnered with Spartan in recent years, if that might tell you anything.... Foretravel and Spartan
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last motorhome was on a Spartan. Current motorhome is on a Freightliner.
I really can't tell any difference in the way they feel going down the road. Steering is precise with both and passing trucks have very little effect on handling.
Chassis won't be a concern when looking at another motorhome. Engine HP, that's a different story.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They mostly use common components eg rear ends, trans, Cummins pick a size.

With or without IFS, Haladex air controls, compressor, etc.

I donโ€™t know if Iโ€™d get married to these modern pollution systems.

Lightly used quality unit pre problematic pollution system.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people respond to a question like this with "The BEST is the one I own". I always buy the best. Like's been said, Ford or Chevy. Each mfg has it good points and their less than good points. Chevy is built like a rock, but it's an ugly rock. Ford looks cool but can't hit a basket to save it's soul. Narrow your selection then look for the good and bad on the chassis that coach is built upon. Chassis are but one piece of the puzzle anyway. For instance, Monaco built all their older coaches on their Roadmaster chassis. Their best was/is the RR10R with 10 air bags mounted on the outside the frame rails. Very solid very good ride etc. But, only the luxury coaches, Signature, Executive, Dynasty and later the Camelot, have steel cages. IMO, all the chassis mfg are excellent. It's what's assembled on top of them that makes all the difference when you're driving....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG