Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: What to do
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What to do

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering selling f350 and 28 ft. 5th wheel and buying a couple of years old class c. My husband has terminal cancer. May sound strange but I don't want to just sit home once he is gone. I can drive the camper but as much as I've tried i can't back it up. He is exmilitary so we use military campgrounds and would feel safe. Suggestions please.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cape cod spent my honeymoon on marthas, vineyard 43yrs ago. glad your going to keep moving on. our best wish,s are with you. nows a good time to put it on the market .

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably would find a 24' class c to be similar in size to your truck alone. But remember, you will have to deal with access to stores and such once you reach a destination. I remember you talking about the base in Key west, Once there you will either need to rent a car on shopping days, get a taxi or Uber, or have towed your own small car to run your errands, unless you want to totally break camp frequently.
What youre asking is certainly doable, most that do tend to plan ahead to minimize the need for shopping runs.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we also have a 24ft sprinter m.h for two people its great. and gets good mpg.drive it to the stores. but it could tow a small toad if needed.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I support your sense of adventure. I've wondered what I would do if the wife passes. I'm not sure I would continue to camp alone but that's mostly because of age and approaching the time to get out of it whether both or 1 of us. I think alone is doable but don't forget to consider the issue emotionally as well as physically. Not sure I'd be up to spending nights in the wood surrounded by strangers alone but some are fine with that.

Jayco-noslide

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I am considering a coachman leprechaun 260ds. Will most likely tow something 4 down but haven't got to that. Have been trying to get husband to sell 5th wheel now so he can still help me learn about it. Feeling a little guilty knowing I will be continuing on doing what we have enjoyed doing together.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life WILL throw curve-balls.
I have the feeling YOU will keep on swing away.

Kudos to you!
Best wishes to you and your husband

I think your plan will be a great way to continue enjoying/being active

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my wife was diagnosed with kidney failure a couple years ago we decided to sell our Class A. Last year we decided to get a Class B or C and I started looking for a used one. Well, didn't get a chance to get one. Wife ended up passing away the beginning of March from complications from dialysis. Finally got everything settled and heading down to the coast to do our favorite thing, fish. And I'm starting to look for another "B".

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Luck to you and no, it does not sound strange. My late husband knew I would keep on rving once he was gone. And I am. Right now I am on a 10 month trip and have enjoyed it. Yes, it would be nice to have someone to share the beautiful scenery and trip with, but I don't, so I take each day and enjoy it. My cocker spaniel is a delightful companion. I started this trip with a long bed truck and a truck camper, but 4 months into trip, traded truck camper for a 24' travel trailer and kept on traveling. A small C, even up to 26' feet or so and small tow car, 4 down, is very doable for a solo lady. I have done a 31' Class A, a 31' fifth wheel, the truck camper and now the travel trailer. With the truck camper, I did not take it off the truck and had to break camp to go get food or run errands. Not a big deal, but not enough room to live in.

If you have the desire and the will, you will do fine. Good luck to you and blessings to you and your hubby.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about your situation.

As to selling and buying a new RV, I always recommend going small. I just don't understand why many people want to travel towing the equivalent of a mobile home. When I retired, my wife and I and 2 cats took off as full timers in a medium sized truck camper without slides. Except for meals, sleeping and an hour or two in the evening we lived outdoors and had plenty of RV space. Going small means it is easy to handle the RV, easy to find a place to stay and with solar panels we just never needed hook ups or expensive RV parks.

Some people find a truck camper or other small RV to be just too small. We have a full sized queen bed, A/C and heat, 3 burner stove, double sink, wet bath, decent refrigerator/freezer, plenty of storage and a table with seating for 4. What's missing? We don't bowl in the aisle. We have 30 plus days or clothing and manage just fine with a monthly laundromat stop.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What to do
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS