cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mod a grill using 1 lb propane tanks to work with RV propane

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
We own a small Smoke Hollow 205 Stainless Steel TableTop Propane Gas Grill that uses those 1 lb propane tanks and I was wondering if anyone has converted it over to use the propane line in my travel trailer. I have a quick connect port on the RV that I could use, but I think I'd need a new low pressure regulator for the grill. Has anyone done this?
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a splitter right at the propane tank to get full pressure off a second ACME fitting.
Just get a hose with the ACME to 1" threaded fitting and you are good to go.

Amazon has it all. Get an additional extension if you think you need it.

See links just above. This works.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
I just use one of these on my tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HFRIKT8

along with one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1H6LVD

It's for my Coleman stove, but should be similar.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Been using this grill on 8# propane pig for 3 years now. have had no problems.
Using on rv unit line would require a gas flow control and removing the regulator. Probably cheaper to purchase a compatible unit.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird, Do you have a link to a SAFE way to refill a 1 lb cylinder? THks

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Is your little grill 11WC or 14WC? or other?
It must be the same as your camper's regulator to start with or all is in vane.

I tried a portable Coleman folding grill, but it uses 14WC so at best all I had was a low flame at the grill. With it I just ran the propane straight into the grill, no need for a regulator since the camper was already hooked up to one. If the grill would have been 11WC then I would be set and done.

I would be surprised if your outdoor grill had another low pressure step-down to take the pressure lower than 11, but is possible.

The control knob is not really a regulator, it is just controlling the flow of gas out to the burners.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It's actually very easy to refill one pound containers. This give you a lot of convenience at to where you put your bbq. Get a refiller.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I was going to do the same with my Grill but got to thinking since I use one of those MR BUDDY heaters for back up heat I will always have the 1lb canisters around so just decided to leave my grill running off the 1lb canisters...

Roy Ken

Not necessarily true - I use a Mr. Buddy as MAIN heat source and have an adapter sold by them to hook up to a 20lb tank. I run it with a 20 foot hose to a tank outside. Works like a charm and no worries about running out of propane!
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
The pressure regulator and flame adjustment are one unit on my grill.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You just have to eliminate the pressure regulator on the grill and connect the low pressure line directly. You will not have control over high/low settings on the grill but at low pressure, running it at the full volume available will give you a pretty moderate high heat and should work just fine for your grilling needs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to do the same with my Grill but got to thinking since I use one of those MR BUDDY heaters for back up heat I will always have the 1lb canisters around so just decided to leave my grill running off the 1lb canisters...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Gordon said... my little unit had the propane control as an integral part of the regulator. I use the Quick Connect ball valve to control propane flow.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would be the same as any other grill originally intended for high pressure LP.

Question is, on your grill is the flame control separate from the regulator or part of it?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
After I posted the above I found this in a Q&A on etrailer.com (https://www.etrailer.com/question-299982.html)

In spite of what this says below, I don't think this will work. Has anyone used this?

Question:
Hello, I have a smoke hallow 205 table top grill with the regulator throw away propane bottles. My question is can I put the 277 grill quick connect on my 205 smoke hallow? And if I can where can I order one? Thanks!,

asked by: David H

Expert Reply:
It sounds like you need MB Sturgis Quick Disconnect Propane Hose # 100476-120-MBS. One end goes into a female quick disconnect on the RV/trailer. The other end is a Male #600 (1"-20) disposable cylinder port that lets you hook up a small appliance or propane tree. This way you can power a grill, heater, or other accessory without needing to use a 1-lb throwaway cylinder.