cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mechanically Challenged RVer

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
A few words about those of us who are not mechanics and tend to run the other way from some of the posts which imply that almost anyone can do such and such themselves. We have RVed with different types of RV's for over 40 years and there's always something not working or needing repaired or replaced. We do very little of it ourselves. Learned a lot and we can winterize and use Google to figure out some things but mostly depend on RV shops or mobile repair. So, I'm saying don't let a lack of skill keep you from enjoying the pastime. It can be costly so don't get into it if you never have some "extra money" or can responsibly use your credit card. Whatever goes wrong, there's always someone who can fix it.
Jayco-noslide
22 REPLIES 22

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
I think you are missing Jayco-noslide's point. You don't HAVE to DIY to enjoy RVing. I do a lot of DIY because I enjoy it. If someone doesn't enjoy it they should not feel like they are less of an RVer than those of us that do. Yes, it will cost more money if you have others do the work for yoou, but that is just one more thing to consider when you decide if you can afford RVing.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are missing Jayco-noslide's point. You don't HAVE to DIY to enjoy RVing. I do a lot of DIY because I enjoy it. If someone doesn't enjoy it they should not feel like they are less of an RVer than those of us that do. Yes, it will cost more money if you have others do the work for yoou, but that is just one more thing to consider when you decide if you can afford RVing.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

et2
Explorer
Explorer
At 199.00 labor rate I can certainly do research and read manuals to do what repairs I can. My experience with one chain dealer is they're rip offs, and the techs many times are hacks when it comes to repairs. I'm not paying that labor rate to have something done half bass. They'll charge you the full hour even if it takes 20 minutes and you get your rig back with more problems than you went in with.

It's amazing what you can do if you read and give it a try.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is always something new to learn. The past few weeks I have been learning roof top AC. Thoroughly cleaned it & changed out the fan motor. Not hard but hot up there on a sunny day. Hate to think what a repair place would havecharged.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco - No Slide, My towed just gave up the ghost after 240,000 miles. I rebuilt my first chevy six in 1949, I was 9 years old but a couple of months ago when the Suzi gave up and had two pistons at the top of their cylinders, I called a young friend who is working on his ASC license and after talking to him and knowing we didn't have the space to do the repairs and that I can no longer do them, I sold the Suzi and I'm looking for a better(hard to find) towed.

You sound like you know where you're at and I think you have profited in the long run.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco - No Slide, My towed just gave up the ghost after 240,000 miles. I rebuilt my first chevy six in 1949, I was 9 years old but a couple of months ago when the Suzi gave up and had two pistons at the top of their cylinders, I called a young friend who is working on his ASC license and after talking to him and knowing we didn't have the space to do the repairs and that I can no longer do them, I sold the Suzi and I'm looking for a better(hard to find) towed.

You sound like you know where you're at and I think you're going to profit in the long run.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
YouTube and this forum are your friends. A lot of projects are scary, until you watch someone else do it and see how simple it really is.
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco,

You do realize that many of us were born knowing all this stuff.
RIGHT ;);)

First, the choice of not having slides was a good one.

Second, not doing things that you don't know how to do will keep you out of trouble.

Third, you seem to be literate and I would guess have an IQ over 80...
That may put you ahead of the people that you might have to pay to do some things.

You said that you learned how to winterize the unit. That is a very good start. That proves that there is more that you can do. So, collect all the documentation for the unit and everything installed or regularly carried. In your spare time, pick up the binder that you put all of that in and read one. If there is some that recently required attention, read that one first and look at the bill. Many of the better manuals have trouble shooting trees in them. If you can understand them, you are halfway there.

Next, buy a tool box that fits someplace convenient in the unit. Buy a collection of tools that you feel you can use. If they don't even cover the bottom of the tool box, that will be a good start. Next time something needs help, look at the book and see if you can figure it out. If no, no loss. But, if yes, think of what you may have just saved.

I do all my own work. Right now, my own coach is up on stands in my barn because it needs some attention. This is kind of a special case because it is a vintage classic and the nearest place that might get it right is 130 miles away. But, the real reason I do my own work is not just to save time and money, it is to get it done right the first time. If it isn't right, I don't have to take it back, either.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You Tube is your friend. When you don't know or are not sure YouTube will almost certainly help
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
Suggest you also look at Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service. After you break down, they will tow you to a qualified RV shop who can fix your RV. Been a member for 29 years:)

Also look at CoachNet.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
A few words about those of us who are not mechanics and tend to run the other way from some of the posts which imply that almost anyone can do such and such themselves. We have RVed with different types of RV's for over 40 years and there's always something not working or needing repaired or replaced. We do very little of it ourselves. Learned a lot and we can winterize and use Google to figure out some things but mostly depend on RV shops or mobile repair. So, I'm saying don't let a lack of skill keep you from enjoying the pastime. It can be costly so don't get into it if you never have some "extra money" or can responsibly use your credit card. Whatever goes wrong, there's always someone who can fix it.

Suggest you also look at Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service. After you break down, they will tow you to a qualified RV shop who can fix your RV. Been a member for 29 years:)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older I get, the more I find I can do for myself. At least those things that do not require strength, agility or working on the roof of an RV.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
The older I get, the less I do myself.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is very little on this RV that I can't fix.. but there is much I do not care to fix.

Had one shop charge me for like 4 hours labor on a job I could have done in 30 minutes.. If I'd have had a place to do it.

I have no idea what took the idiot so long to remove a bolt but I could have done it in minutes.. Oh well. I;ve done it in the past.

The moral.. If you know how long a job should take. You know when you are getting ripped off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times