cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance Bed Plug Location in 2017-2019 SuperDuty?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone have any photos showing the location of the Lance bed plug location in their 2017-2019 Ford SuperDuty. I'm getting ready to install mine and there is a lot going on in that area with the large fuel/DEF fill assembly.

Thanks, bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
13 REPLIES 13

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II

For reference, the blue plug is oriented correctly with the Pollack plug. For example, the one large connector at 7 o'clock on the blue plug matches up with the (-) negative terminal at 7 o'clock on the Pollack plug.

bradw
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II

OK, my plug is going here.

Ain't nothing like the thrill of drilling 1-3/8" hole in a new $60k truck! ๐Ÿ™‚

bradw
Wake Up America

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
The "class K" 8 awg copper welding wire (161 strands of 30awg) I used to rewire my jack controller inside the TC has a resistance (R) of 0.000772 ohms per foot.

Doesn't seem like much, but when you include the overall length (L) of the circuit (positive + negative cable lengths), a voltage drop (Vd) will occur depending on the current (I) in amps.

Vd = R x L x I

Voltage (V) at my truck alternator is usually around 14.4

Voltage at bed plug (Vbp) = V - Vd

Whether this is an issue or not depends on your use. Running a "12" VDC device is usually not an issue (typical input VDC tolerance is 10.5 to 15.4) just check your device manual.

Just the voltage drop to the bed plug results in Vtc = 14.2 @ 10A; 14.0 @ 20A; 13.8 @ 30A. The final voltage drop at the batteries will be even greater, depending on the wire gauge and the length used from there to inside the TC to the batteries or device.

As the voltage drop causes the voltage at the batteries to approach the "Float" voltage, very little charging is occurring. For charging 220 Ah and larger AGM battery banks, short lengths of larger diameter wire are used to recharge the batteries in a reasonable time, while driving.

You might ask Buzzcut1 what he typically has experienced after the 3 hr drive from the Sierra, as he has the 8 awg Lance Bed Plug.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
Thatโ€™s pretty much the way my 2016 F450 5th wheel plug was. I tapped into the clearance light, turn and brake light wires behind that plug as well. I ran my own 4 awg wires for the 12 volt charge wires going to the camper battery. The wires going to that plug are far too small to be of any use for my needs.

That's pretty much my plan, except for using 8 ga wire to the battery. I think the 8 ga wires will be about 12' long.

bradw
Wake Up America

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s pretty much the way my 2016 F450 5th wheel plug was. I tapped into the clearance light, turn and brake light wires behind that plug as well. I ran my own 4 awg wires for the 12 volt charge wires going to the camper battery. The wires going to that plug are far too small to be of any use for my needs.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's interesting that the plug is just a pass through connectorish thing. Thanks for the picks BradW
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are some photos of the factory 5th wheel plug removed.

bradw
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2018 F350 factory 5th wheel plug is wired like this. The bed plug can be removed by removing the 2 larger hex bolts holding the bracket to the bed wall.

You can then unplug the bed plug from the wiring behind it. That wiring is actually a separate pigtail and is about 3' long. It has three plugs. One goes into the back of the 5th wheel plug. The other two plugs go into the main wiring harness along the chassis on the driver's side.

So, you can remove the pigtail and make the tie-ins without laying on your back under the truck, then reinstall it.
Wake Up America

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the fifth wheel prep package which puts a plug in the bed behind the drivers rear wheel. I need to crawl under there and figure where it's tied into the harness. I would like to put a plug up front too. I have a longer cord for my Arctic Fox that is easy enough to use.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
depends on the truck camper, AFAIK there are no standards with campers. My first one the plug was front drivers side, current one the cable is rear drivers side so the factory 5th wheel location works well.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
JD5150 wrote:
My 2017 came with camper package and plug is mounted on drivers side behind wheel well by tail gate. Probably can snap a picture tomorrow if you still need one

I think you are referring to the 5th wheel plug. I'm installing a plug for a truck camper and it needs to be farther forward.

Thanks,
Bradw
Wake Up America

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 came with camper package and plug is mounted on drivers side behind wheel well by tail gate. Probably can snap a picture tomorrow if you still need one

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Anyone have any photos showing the location of the Lance bed plug location in their 2017-2019 Ford SuperDuty. I'm getting ready to install mine and there is a lot going on in that area with the large fuel/DEF fill assembly.

Thanks, bradw

Here's where they installed a 7pin on my 2017:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Mod Edit: Image not accessible. Please download to your computer and use this link to post it.