cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High brake light?

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever installed or attempted to install a High Brake light on their 5th wheel or travel trailer.

A 2 to 3 wire converter would be required for that 3rd brake lamp too.

I would love to have such a light on my 5th wheel. Really wondering why manufacturers would not put one on, it would be a great additional security measure dans gesture. So many RV have stuff on the back, often blocking one or all the lights...

The challenge is to fish the brake lamp circuit from either side to the height required.
14 REPLIES 14

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I added a pair of these slim LED light bars on the back of my trailer

I had some of those. Low quality china junk. They work great but led bulbs individually went out one by one.

You have to hook up the right way (positive and negative) or they will not work. Just touch the wires to the battery terminal, one way will work, the other will not, then you know which is 12v+

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We added the slim LED lights vertically on the back of our Cedar Creek. Since our model has the end cap, it was easy to fish the wire up from the original lights. Just guessing, the top of the added light is about 72" from the ground.
I must say it has really helped when driving in traffic and you need to change lanes, stop, etc. The original lights are too low to be seen by any vehicle except the one directly behind you. IMHO, these lights should be mandatory.

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I added a pair of these slim LED light bars on the back of my trai ler

I have the same pair.

Struggling with the wiring and placement... Do you have a pic of your setup?

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I added a pair of these slim LED light bars on the back of my trailer
Bob

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Dave5143 wrote:
I was going to install one of these till I read something in the DOT regulations that specified if one of these exists it better work or you may be cited. Why risk it?
Besides, if the driver of the vehicle behind you is distracted (using cellphone, texting, etc.) all the brake lights in the world may not save you

Per DOT regulations, trailer stop lamps must be at least 15" and not more than 72" from the ground.

The original ones are DOT, adding a second set does not negate the original set, even if a bike blocks it.

Risk what? If the extra brake lights don't work, then they officially become reflectors, or at best running lights that do not work. Highly unlikely that you get cited for this if the original ones work. There won't be a sign that says they are brake lights.
Attempting to add more lights for safety is unlikely to get you a ticket as long as the real lights work. Silly.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to install one of these till I read something in the DOT regulations that specified if one of these exists it better work or you may be cited. Why risk it?
Besides, if the driver of the vehicle behind you is distracted (using cellphone, texting, etc.) all the brake lights in the world may not save you.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I added extra (LED) lights at the very top of my TT. The original ones seemed
too low and are hidden if a large Pickup/SUV is following. I added standard
oval stop/turn lights and fished the wires down the sides from the inside of
the TT. Then solder/crimped them to the original lights.

Work great - the top light are visible over the height of Pick-ups and large
SUV - I fell safer that they are visible from far away.
Gerry

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Per DOT regulations, trailer stop lamps must be at least 15" and not more than 72" from the ground.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

miatared
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic. Love it.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a look with the bikes on it.

2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
you can use a converter since the right and left brake actually work in tandem when braking as lit right and left turn signals, or just let your 3rd brake light blink if that side blinker is on. There are 3rd brake lights that blink, so it would be just as beneficial.

You can splice into either the right or left brake light wiring (ground and 12v+) and just run the wire to the third location. You do not have to "balance" between the left and right brake lights by pulling power off each one equally,both get power from the same place anyway.

or, you can just splice into the 12v+ off one brake light and find ground somewhere else if it works better for you; this is just one wire from brake, then one to ground.

Use an LED to keep the amp draw lower.

Get some "fish tape" from hardware store so you can fish the wire through the wall (may or may not even be possible).

Maybe you can remove the rear light lens, and then fish a pair of wires down from your new 3rd light brake hole to the open lens on your trailer. Then splice wires in. This way no wires are exposed inside the camper.

Better is like above guy where he put two lights in, so he has running and turn and brake up high too. It is a little more work, well twice as much work, but no need for an adapter, and you will have a better lit rear.

1,000 ways to go at it, Im sure all will work

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I did what 2naeagke did only vertically on my TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Not a high brake light.
I added two tail/brake lights to my Jayco.
The wiring came in behind the sofa so it was easy to do.

2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like one as well. I easily installed one on my cargo trailer, since the rear was pretty open fishing the wire from the brake lights up to a CHMSL was "easy peasy" just ran it behind the drop down rear door spring.

The light I used used each half for a turn signal and both on for brake lights.

On the TT, NOT so easy, haven't figured an easy way to get the brake light wire up there.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!