Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: MH trip to Keys & New Orlean lessons
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH trip to Keys & New Orlean lessons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tnks. i use rvparkreviews.com all the time but it’s good to hear a review first hand.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rowekmr

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My maiden RV voyage was to Key West. Being a newlywed back in 2006 we took a cruise to Key West and I enjoyed the history and sightseeing. When I found out it is the southern most location of the US I boldly proclaimed I will drive here next time.
Next year bought a new 31' travel trailer (never camped or RV before) and researched the RV parks in Key West and picked one near the water and drove straight down from IL. The RV park (Boyd's) had RV's parked relatively close and we were a few steps from the water and like the OP said the water wasn't crystal clear like I had imagined but we enjoyed the view and the kids rode their bikes around the park.

I have always hoped to go to New Orleans too. I want to see the devastation and the tourist spots while trying the food and of course learning about the rich history.

05 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3855

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

We stayed at the KOA just outside New Olean's a few months ago.

It was very cool to see the city, the history and the architecture BUT I will never go back. It truly stinks and is run down. Drifters, drunks, drug addicts and homeless everywhere all asking for your money. Trash all over the place but at least it was in bags waiting to be picked up.

I agree, was there in Late October. Never again.

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know on New Orleans.
Thanks

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anyone who has recently been to the WWII museum in NOLA...is the neighborhood safe, only safe in daytime or avoid it at all costs? wife walks with a cane so would be dropping her off and then parking somewhere.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

For the life of me I can't understand why a statue of Andrew Jackson must be banned when we have schools streets and other things named Malcolm X all over the U S. and nobody sees a problem with that.

There are only a handful of streets in the U.S. named Malcolm X, and even then, it might not be an actual renaming, or it might be just a short stretch of a street. Like Lenox Avenue in New York City--both "Lenox Avenue" and "Malcolm X Blvd" are officially recognized.

There's a street named after Malcolm X in Lansing, Michigan, which is where he grew up. And Boston, where he moved as a teenager (and it's just a little portion of a street). The only others I know of are in Brooklyn, Dallas, and Washington, D.C.

Same with schools--just a few.

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The love bug story reminds me of a time we were driving in MN at dusk and swarms of Mayflies came out. I eventually had to pull over as the windshield was covered and I ran out of washer fluid.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

anyone who has recently been to the WWII museum in NOLA...is the neighborhood safe, only safe in daytime or avoid it at all costs? wife walks with a cane so would be dropping her off and then parking somewhere.

Was at a wedding across the street, not a good neighborhood, had to call police on a woman sitting on corner screaming as loud as she could, high on something. Wedding was great though, they had their own security.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been to New Orleans five times and always had a good time.

We especially enjoy Muffuletta sandwiches at Central Grocery and Beignets across the street.

There are tours of the places where they build and store the floats plus other city tours and a cable car ride.

We always have stayed at the French Quarter Rv Resort. Very nice.

As far as the Keys...went there in 1976 and had a nice time. We went back in 2016 and man oh man what a change. Didn't even stay overnight.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenbert wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Was at a wedding across the street, not a good neighborhood, had to call police on a woman sitting on corner screaming as loud as she could, high on something. Wedding was great though, they had their own security.

thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH trip to Keys & New Orlean lessons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS