cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide out leaks

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
Took the TT out yesterday for the long weekend, and of course its memorial day weekend and you can almost guarantee rain here in the NE. Shortly after the first storms rolled through I noticed some drips coming from the slide out roof. Dripping right behind the trim. I checked the rubber seals and it seems to be working and setting the way they should. Has anyone had any issues like this, and what did you happen to do to fix it?
8 REPLIES 8

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
ejd43 wrote:
Update: this morning I took some water jugs with me on the roof, and slowly poured water around the area where the leak was happening. I had quickly determined that the caulking right about my drain gutters was all but gone, went to wal mart and bought caulking, resealed it with quick dry caulking and it survived our latest downpour with no issues! Thanks for all the input and suggestions!!

Thanks for the update! Glad you were able to take care of it before it caused damage. Happy camping!
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
Update: this morning I took some water jugs with me on the roof, and slowly poured water around the area where the leak was happening. I had quickly determined that the caulking right about my drain gutters was all but gone, went to wal mart and bought caulking, resealed it with quick dry caulking and it survived our latest downpour with no issues! Thanks for all the input and suggestions!!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
First try to determine if it is actually the slide roof. I’d sprinkle water on the roof in different spots while someone is inside to see where water is coming in.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My slide has a gutter along the side. The seal must be tucked behind it.

Also, if not snugged up, it will not seal along it total length.

Our seal is quite thick, about 2 or 3 inches, I cannot imagine it ever wearing out. However, it is not unusual for it to not seal top to bottom.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My slide has a gutter along the side. The seal must be tucked behind it.

Also, if not snugged up, it will not seal along it total length.

Our seal is quite thick, about 2 or 3 inches, I cannot imagine it ever wearing out. However, it is not unusual for it to not seal top to bottom.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how often you coated them with silicone spray, if your TT is covered when not in use, your climate etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2011. How long are the seals usually good for?

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
how old is you tt. you either need to do some maintenance on the seals or replace them