cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best In-dash nav and camera system for Minnie Winnie?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So I got a great deal on a 1999 Minnie Winnie with only 46K miles on it. It is in really great shape and looks new inside. I will be spending the summer on the road and I want to upgrade my new Winnie with an in-dash navigation system that also has a front camera and rear back up camera. Has anyone done this? can you offer some advice? Like what to watch out for and what to look for?
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
15 REPLIES 15

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
jungleexplorer wrote:

My MinWin has a rearview mirror (why I don't know).

I don't know entirely why this may be, but I do know that the Vermont vehicle safety inspection requires there to be an inside rear view mirror, even in vehicles where there is no rear window. You won't pass inspection without one.

I firmly believe it is impossible to overestimate the collective stupidity of a bureaucracy.

Well, I think I put it to good use though. Check out what I installed in its place in this how-to video.

How to install the AutoVox 2 rearview mirror monitor system.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
jungleexplorer wrote:

My MinWin has a rearview mirror (why I don't know).

I don't know entirely why this may be, but I do know that the Vermont vehicle safety inspection requires there to be an inside rear view mirror, even in vehicles where there is no rear window. You won't pass inspection without one.

I firmly believe it is impossible to overestimate the collective stupidity of a bureaucracy.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, just in case you guys want to see how I did this. Here is a video of the install.

How to install an Android Head Unit in a Minnie Winnie.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We gave up on a dedicated GPS for nav and now only use our phones with Google Maps. You can easily download maps for offline use if you know you're heading into an area without coverage or don't want to incur data charges.

I also mounted my rear view display on the stock mirror location for our Winnie Outlook. The stock mirror was good for checking up on the kids and dogs, but that was about it...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

kelbro
Explorer
Explorer
It's not 'in-dash' but Garmin nav systems are hard to beat and their wireless backup camera is great. I put one on the motor home and liked it so much that I added one to my Nissan Xterra.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
My recommendation is to try and first find others with aftermarket in-dash systems and look at the actual screen while in the drivers seat. Everything looks good in a display or pictures but can be a whole other thing when mounted in a fixed dash and being looked at by you from your seating position.

I use a Android based navigation system that is mounted on top of the dash. This allows me to adjust the viewing angle regardless of whatever light or reflective condition exist. It also allows me to double up on other Android based apps for the RV such as the TPMS, gas buddy, etc.

As for the cameras, since there is no inside rear view mirror, I had a monitor mounted in that spot for the cameras. While driving, I found it to be a more natural instinct to glance up at the monitor like you would normally glance up at a rear view mirror. With the side mounted cameras, when I use the right turn signal the monitor splits the screen rear/right. When using the left turn signal, it splits left/rear.

My MinWin has a rearview mirror (why I don't know). I installed a dual camera system on my wife's minivan. It has an always on Rearview camera function. Some in-dash systems support a rearview mirror monitor, but if I get one that does not, I can always add a system like I have on my wife's minivan. I think it would be good to have it on the rearview mirror so I can use the main screen for navigation when I driving.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation is to try and first find others with aftermarket in-dash systems and look at the actual screen while in the drivers seat. Everything looks good in a display or pictures but can be a whole other thing when mounted in a fixed dash and being looked at by you from your seating position.

I use a Android based navigation system that is mounted on top of the dash. This allows me to adjust the viewing angle regardless of whatever light or reflective condition exist. It also allows me to double up on other Android based apps for the RV such as the TPMS, gas buddy, etc.

As for the cameras, since there is no inside rear view mirror, I had a monitor mounted in that spot for the cameras. While driving, I found it to be a more natural instinct to glance up at the monitor like you would normally glance up at a rear view mirror. With the side mounted cameras, when I use the right turn signal the monitor splits the screen rear/right. When using the left turn signal, it splits left/rear.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
I have an iPhone and have used Google maps. Works good when it doesn't tell me I'm not connected to the internet. But for RV travel I like my Garmin in sight where I can tell how far to the next change, some idea for what lane to be in, distance and time to destination, current speed, speed limit etc. Also, the in-dash GPS seemed to have a learning curve that I wasn't interested in pursueing since I have diffenent GPS systems in my car, my jeep, my phone and my Garmin. I think the biggest issue was visibility along with switching between functions while driving. Now once in town trying to find a restaurant or other places, it's hard to beat the phone. In that instant, 99%+ of the time, I'm in the toad. Also, the big issue with not having a full time rearview camera display is being able to to know when it's save to pull back into your lane when passing since you can't see the toad in your mirrors.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
RichNewcome wrote:
To each his own, but I bought the option for a GPS/Rearview camera/AM/FM/Sirius-XM/CD receiver and felt I'd made a mistake. The first problem was the position of the unit. For the most part, depending on lighting conditions, I could see mostly reflections from inside the RV. I like the review camera on all the time to help with lane changes after passing when towing. I also like the GPS to be in a position that doesn't require taking my eyes off the road any more than necessary. Unless you have someone to operate it for you, switching between functions can be a dangerous distraction with a touch screen and the sometimes small buttons. Anyway, I installed a separate screen for the rearview camera, mounted a standalone GPS (which I can easily take in the house for preprogramming) where a rearview mirror would normally be and just use the receiver for Sirius-XM. Still, the receiver has decent sound quality and after adding a subwoofer I'm fairly well satisfied. Doing it over, a good receiver without the added functions would have saved me some money.

All good points. Let me ask you, have you ever used an Android device with Google Maps. I have not had to enter directions manually for years. I just SAY what I want it to do and it does it. Was your in-dash system capable of this? Because you never have to take your eyes off the road to enter directions with Android Voice Control.

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
To each his own, but I bought the option for a GPS/Rearview camera/AM/FM/Sirius-XM/CD receiver and felt I'd made a mistake. The first problem was the position of the unit. For the most part, depending on lighting conditions, I could see mostly reflections from inside the RV. I like the review camera on all the time to help with lane changes after passing when towing. I also like the GPS to be in a position that doesn't require taking my eyes off the road any more than necessary. Unless you have someone to operate it for you, switching between functions can be a dangerous distraction with a touch screen and the sometimes small buttons. Anyway, I installed a separate screen for the rearview camera, mounted a standalone GPS (which I can easily take in the house for preprogramming) where a rearview mirror would normally be and just use the receiver for Sirius-XM. Still, the receiver has decent sound quality and after adding a subwoofer I'm fairly well satisfied. Doing it over, a good receiver without the added functions would have saved me some money.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
DELETED. Double Post

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I highly suggest to stay away from Rand McNally navigation systems. My moho came with one and it is awful. Shame that a well known map maker can't develop a decent nav system.

I like Google maps and have been using it on my phone for years. The problem is, I have yet to find a reliable holder to hold my phone while using it for mapping. The Vent mounted holder just break the air vents. The window suction cup holders fall off. The sticky holders don't stick. I must have gone through a hundred of these holders and never found one that was worth anything.

I have a pile of Garmin, Magellan, and Tom Tom Navigation devices that I won't use because they are unreliable at directions. Google Maps is the best in my opinion. The thing that I don't like about Google Maps is that it requires a mobile data connection. This is fine for my smartphone, but I can't find a single in-dash Android Navigation system that has GSM capability where I can buy a mobile data plan for the system so it will have data service. So that means that I can't use Google Maps or Waze (which I use in large cities to route me around traffic jams). I can get a mobile data plan from Unreal Mobile for only $10 a month, but I need a device that I can put a SIM card in. Why none of these Android in-dash Nav systems has a sims card slot is mind-boggling to me.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
For in dash components, if you really want to go that way, go to ‘ Crutchfield.com ‘. They have a very large selection of products and adaptors plus good customer service.
When entering your vehicle information, you can use Econoline. The dashboard is is same in a 150 Econoline to the E450 cutaway.
Others will suggest individual units for dash cam rear view monitors, your choice on products available and $$.
Ken

Thanks. This info really helps.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I highly suggest to stay away from Rand McNally navigation systems. My moho came with one and it is awful. Shame that a well known map maker can't develop a decent nav system.