cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone know of shortest trailers with 4 bunks?

somfas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! I am looking for a camper with 4 bunks, but small as possible. Was wanting a 24-26' trailer, but then started to see the need for 4 separate bunks. Anyone have suggestions for short trailer for 2 adults and 4 kids? TIA
19 REPLIES 19

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
somfas wrote:
Hi! I am looking for a camper with 4 bunks, but small as possible. Was wanting a 24-26' trailer, but then started to see the need for 4 separate bunks. Anyone have suggestions for short trailer for 2 adults and 4 kids? TIA

I had to "build" mine, more accurately convert it. 16' long. May not be a solution for you, since it is a gear hauler/camper, but it is an answer to the question.
There is a "click clack" sofa in the front, you can't see, sleeps 2. Rest of the time, loaded with gear.

Rest of the story...7x16 Cargo Conversion
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

somfas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Read ya loud and clear on the wifes weight lol. It seems very clear that the payload is the issue, not the tow weight. So that will make it easier to work with. Thanks again.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
somfas wrote:
I have a 2018 F150 V8 FX4 tow package and I still can't get a clear answer to how much it can tow! That is my next step is to try and nail that down.

You'll never nail that down if you're relying on the weight police contingent here or any other RV board.

Ummm...if the numbers add up, then all is good. Not so much if they donโ€™t. Lot of people here do understand what the weights mean and use them properly.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
That 1666 is going to be your limiting factor

subtract weight of everything in the truck (including your family)
subtract weight of your hitch (~100 lbs)
subtract weight of anything in the bed of the truck
subtract tongue weight of the trailer (usually 13 percent of laoded trailer weight)
make sure that the number is positive.

for example (guessing at numbers)
-600 lbs family and gear
-100 lbs hitch
-200 lbs stuff in truck bed (cooler, wood, bikes whatever)
= 760 left for tongue weight

760/0.13 = 5846.2 loaded weight of trailer (not the bs dry weight)

redo the math with your numbers and see where you land. need any help just ask.
note: take 30 lbs off wifes weight add it to your weight if you do the math together.

Very good example.
Love the last line.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
somfas wrote:
I have a 2018 F150 V8 FX4 tow package and I still can't get a clear answer to how much it can tow! That is my next step is to try and nail that down.

You'll never nail that down if you're relying on the weight police contingent here or any other RV board.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
That 1666 is going to be your limiting factor

subtract weight of everything in the truck (including your family)
subtract weight of your hitch (~100 lbs)
subtract weight of anything in the bed of the truck
subtract tongue weight of the trailer (usually 13 percent of laoded trailer weight)
make sure that the number is positive.

for example (guessing at numbers)
-600 lbs family and gear
-100 lbs hitch
-200 lbs stuff in truck bed (cooler, wood, bikes whatever)
= 760 left for tongue weight

760/0.13 = 5846.2 loaded weight of trailer (not the bs dry weight)

redo the math with your numbers and see where you land. need any help just ask.
note: take 30 lbs off wifes weight add it to your weight if you do the math together.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

somfas
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
post a pic of the sticker in your door jam. I have a 2016 f150 5.0 xlt. should be very similar (you will be a bit better with the new trans) looking for the payload capacity is likely going to be your limiting factor. the trailer I posted above fits my truck nicely.

The door jamb sticker says 1666 lb payload. My hitch says 11,600 lbs max gross trailer weight. Max tongue weight 1160 lbs. - (Distributing) and Max gross trailer weight 5,000 lbs. Max tongue weight 500 lbs - (Carrying) I see that Payload may be the limiting factor. But still, so many numbers.....

Thanks for all the advice

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Should be good for 6k dry. Backing into a site is actually easier with longer trailer except for fitting in a site it doesn't fit!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Twenty-four to twenty-six feet will get quite cozy on a rainy day with six campers.

Wimp.

You haven't "camped" in a "cozy" camper until you do it in a 1960s Truck Top SHELL with 6 kids and two adults! No heat when parked and no A/C and camping in the deep south down to Florida..

Dad, made a long table which dropped for a large bed and the seat backs folded up for a large "bunk" bed.

That IS what my parents used for a couple of years until my Dad got a late 1960s slide in truck camper with cab over bunk.

Road out Hurricane Agnes in 1972 at Disney World in Florida in the slide in truck camper..

Heck us kids even ROAD in the slide in camper and lived to tell the tails..

People now days are so stupidly spoiled!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
post a pic of the sticker in your door jam. I have a 2016 f150 5.0 xlt. should be very similar (you will be a bit better with the new trans) looking for the payload capacity is likely going to be your limiting factor. the trailer I posted above fits my truck nicely.

somfas
Explorer
Explorer
Good point about the storage. I am just concerned about the weight, and the length when having to back into sites. I have a 2018 F150 V8 FX4 tow package and I still can't get a clear answer to how much it can tow! That is my next step is to try and nail that down.

Thanks for the link of that other trailer. I will look at it too and see if there is a new version of it.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you can live with that size trailer? Where do you put all the food/clothing/cookware/outdoor furniture/etc for 6 people? My family does not spend much time in the camper besides sleeping, but I am finding that there are plenty of larger trailers that could not carry the things our family of 5 regularly take.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
somfas wrote:
I am looking for a camper with 4 bunks, but small as possible. Was wanting a 24-26' trailer, but then started to see the need for 4 separate bunks.

Back in the mid 2000s rear glide trailers were the rage. Here's a 25' KZ Jag with 4 bunk beds ... not sure if any manufacturers are building similar models these days.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
happy to help. we only have 1 short trip in it so far but we love it. floorplan is perfect for us.