Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Roof repair
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Roof repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is what you have, then remove the vinyl insert then the screws.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished completely replacing the roof on my Thor Freedom Spirit 180. It had leaked at the TV antenna and damaged the forward most roof panel. After lots of anguish and research, I bit the bullet and stripped the roof entirely (I have a shop to work on it in, so no weather issues) and since the adhesive needs fresh wood for the water in it (water based adhesive) to leach into so it can cure, I was faced with two alternatives. Overlay the entire roof with a thin layer of Luan (and screw up the spacing at the corner trim overlaps) or simply replace ALL of the roof sheeting, which is what I did.

While the roof was open, I reinforced the trusses with 3/8 plywood that was glued with construction adhesive and stapled to the trusses. Put the new wood down with screws. It was a LOT of work, but it came out nice. The antennas are now in the scrap pile. I removed both the radio and the TV, so no need for the antennas.

Awning was weathered but serviceable but since it was removed, I replaced the vinyl. I also installed a new Maxxfan Deluxe in the place of the no-fan vent, and installed new waste tank vent caps.

Did I say it was a LOT of work? I have a good stable 8 ft ladder and an electric scissor lift, plus a couple of articulated ladders (little Giant) so the job is doable with the right stuff.

Been working like a madman on it trying to get it ready for a trip out west in a couple of weeks.

Charles

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlesin GA- I'm in the process of doing the same thing with a project trailer. Three places were penetrated with a tree branch. I had to rebuild 5 rafters. I also reinforced all the rafters sistering 2x2 and 1x2 for the arh and redecking the trailer. I'm having to do the work outside. Still have to install the roof membrane. I also took out the cheap skylight and tiny bath fan and will install two fantastic fan's. Since my awning was broke it's in the scrap pile with the tv antenna, I kept the radio antenna. Will also install a new roof A/C, old one was damaged by the branch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Roof repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS