cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fold up stairs blocking door

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, so moderator please feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.
Anyway, my 5er has the big set of steps that fold up behind the door. Although they are nice and sturdy, once I back my 5er into my garage, I can’t get in it because there isn’t enough room to drop down the stairs. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has this problem so I’m looking for ideas. I’m thinking something along the lines of a couple of pins that can be pulled to remove the stairs and then just use a stool to step into the trailer when in storage or something along those lines. Any ideas of what I can do?

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

30 REPLIES 30

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
My wife has had 2 knees and 2 hips replaced and we have the 4 step TorkLift. She finds it much, much better to go up and down the steps. I installed them myself.

X2! X2! Back fusion and one artificial knee. just like power steering and power brakes I will never go back to the original RV folding steps.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
My wife has had 2 knees and 2 hips replaced and we have the 4 step TorkLift. She finds it much, much better to go up and down the steps. I installed them myself.

That is why I have these steps. I suffered several strokes that has left my left side weakened and I have balance issues. These steps making getting in and out of my 5th wheel much easier. My 15 year old dog can go up and down these steps and he couldn't on the original steps. They really make a difference.
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to the TorkLift website and there is a lot of information there for you to review.

TorkLift

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
Another vote for the Torklift here. I put them on last fall and couldn't be happier as well. My In laws liked them so much all us kids chipped in and my brother in law and I installed a set on their fifth wheel.

Dan

Hammerboy, how do these differ than the standard 3 step fold down stairs that come standard with fifth wheels?

If you are referring to the old school springboard style they are simply much much more solid as they are on the ground. If you're talking about the new standard that you are seeing with the kind that folds out of the door, these don't store inside but in the cavity where the old school steps would be. Lots of you tube videos.

My in laws are getting older so we went from a tall 3 step old school to a 4 step Torklift for a easier step for them.

Dan

I meant the old school style that fold down and are not supported on the ground. We too are getting older, but seem to be OK using them, but others make comments about how steep they are or that they are not supported.

Thanks
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
Another vote for the Torklift here. I put them on last fall and couldn't be happier as well. My In laws liked them so much all us kids chipped in and my brother in law and I installed a set on their fifth wheel.

Dan

Hammerboy, how do these differ than the standard 3 step fold down stairs that come standard with fifth wheels?

If you are referring to the old school springboard style they are simply much much more solid as they are on the ground. If you're talking about the new standard that you are seeing with the kind that folds out of the door, these don't store inside but in the cavity where the old school steps would be. Lots of you tube videos.

My in laws are getting older so we went from a tall 3 step old school to a 4 step Torklift for a easier step for them.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:

Dan

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I put on the Torklift steps and could not be happier.

Fully adjustable to any terrain and height. You can control what height you want the 1st step outside door to be.

Very stable no movement going up or down. I suffered several strokes and these steps really help me getting in and out of 5th wheel.

Works in tight situations

Folds up and stays outside 5th wheel. No dirt or water dripping inside RV like steps that fold up inside RV

Company was great to deal with.

Installed in less than a 1/2 hour by my son-in-law with very minimal help from me.

I don't think that you can go wrong with these steps!

Dave

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve said the MorRyde Step above would be a deal breaker and last week proved why as the boat parked next to our fifth wheel in storage was so close our door couldn’t fully open. Man handling steps with removable brackets isn’t something I would do even though I could.

I debated between the MorRyde and Torklift Steps before selecting the Torklifts and have never been disappointed with them.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
My Cardinal has the Morryde steps from the factory. The brackets for the traditional fold out steps are on the frame. It would be simple to bolt on the folding steps and cut the aluminum skirt, istall some trim and remove the Morryde steps. Look under your trailer, the brackets may be there.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love my Torklift Revolution Glow steps.....I just added the Glow ride stair rail and that thing is phonominal......

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Torklift steps today. After all the good things you had to say, I figured they must be good and they definitely will fix my problem.
Thanks again for the input.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Morryde makes removable solid steps.

2 Brackets bolt under the door and the stairs clip into them.

Quick connect step

Gary
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed