Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Goodyear Endurance Tire Pressure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Goodyear Endurance Tire Pressure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air your tires up to 80 psi and don't worry about it.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Kill the high side alarm and keep the low side.

If you really want to end this business; drain and fill the tires with nitrogen 3X's. That will stop all of this.

other than nitrogen sources usually being free of water, Boyles law still holds. Temp will rise pretty close to filling with a dry source of air. Since dry air is already 80% nitrogen.

Now if air source has fair amount of water, then the tire may show slightly higher pressure than dry air fill.

For normal use, not an issue. Now if your doing something where 1 psi makes a difference, then dry nitrogen gives consistency. But then dry "air" would do the same.

And the other attribute of Nitrogen is that even though it's molecular weight is lower than Oxygen, it is a slightly larger molecule so pressure loss through the tire is lower, but we are talking about fractions of a psi/month.

* This post was edited 05/28/19 04:56pm by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

A RV that has D tires that inflate to 65 based on max load. Now has E why run max?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Does anyone know if running the tires at these PSI levels is safe or should I back down the cold PSI a little so they don't go too far over the 80 PSI cold maximum marked on the tires?

All is normal.
I've seen my load E tires on my equipment trailers go to 94 psi on a hot all day run.
Set them cold at 80 psi and don't worry about them. Now if one spikes higher than the others then you may have a tire that lost pressure and ran hotter than the others. Heat from brake issue or a wheel bearing issue can heat one tire also.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lmpres

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the High Temp alarm. That is one of the indicators to an impending blow out.Didn't see anyone else mention it to you, but make sure you have metel valve stems put on your tires. The weight of the sensor will tear up your rubber stems. As said before, 80psi cold, the rising temp is normal when moving.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

A RV that has D tires that inflate to 65 based on max load. Now has E why run max?

Because that is what Goodyear recommends, that is what will keep your tires from getting hot and failing, and because there is absolutely nothing to gain from inflating the tires to anything less than the maximum. I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before and you have your position and I have mine. While truck tires should be inflated based on load, trailer tires should be inflated to their sidewall maximum.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

If you really want to end this business; drain and fill the tires with nitrogen 3X's. That will stop all of this.

Nitrogen is a scam

OP, what does your high quality tire pressure gauge read in comparison to your TPMS read out? that will tell you what pressures you need to know.

I have no idea what Nitrogen 3X is, but if it's being sold as a tire solution it's a scam.

One of the common statements supporting N, is water vapor in air. Most (all?) tire shop air lines go through a water separator filter. Is it completely dry, no, but it's dry enough. Tire temperature would have to get deep into 200°F to "boil" the water vapor. If you're tire is 250°F, you're already in deep doodoo.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

Because that is what Goodyear recommends, that is what will keep your tires from getting hot and failing, and because there is absolutely nothing to gain from inflating the tires to anything less than the maximum. I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before and you have your position and I have mine. While truck tires should be inflated based on load, trailer tires should be inflated to their sidewall maximum.

Sorry NOT true! Call GY Tech support and tell them you are running "D" tires and are at or near weight limit. Then ask them what is the best inflation to run the "E" tires if you up load range.

They will tell you to weigh your RV and use the inflation/load chart take the heaviest tire per axle and then add 5psi to what the chart says,

Reason? They told me better ride, better stopping and better tread wear. That is just one reason for the load charts.

It says MAX inflation for a reason. It does NOY say air to MAX inflation on a tire.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I assume you up sized in load range. Weigh your rig. Use load/inflation chart for your tire and add 5psi. This is per GY Tech Support.

Help me out on this. My camper weighs in the neighborhood of 9700 pounds when loaded, give or take a few hundred pounds. It depends on what we're bringing with us on any particular trip. The stamped maximum load capacity on the rims is 2830 pounds, the same as what is on the Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75R15 E rated tires. From what I can tell on the chart, it says 80 PSI. Are you saying to air them up to 85 PSI Cold?

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Nitrogen is a scam

OP, what does your high quality tire pressure gauge read in comparison to your TPMS read out? that will tell you what pressures you need to know.

I have no idea what Nitrogen 3X is, but if it's being sold as a tire solution it's a scam.

One of the common statements supporting N, is water vapor in air. Most (all?) tire shop air lines go through a water separator filter. Is it completely dry, no, but it's dry enough. Tire temperature would have to get deep into 200°F to "boil" the water vapor. If you're tire is 250°F, you're already in deep doodoo.

water seperator filter does nothing but keep the RH of the water to below 100%. They typically don't desicate to 0% RH. Once inside the tire water can condense or vaporise depending on temperature and once vaporized have an increased effect on tire pressure. regardless of temperature once above 32F, water will vaporize till either it is all vaporised or RH-100%. That adds another variable in the pressure due to added vapor.

Now all that, IMHO for typical consumer use, it really doesn't make enough difference to even care about. If your application is racing or other things where small changes in tire pressure have a big effect, then dry air is important.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Goodyear Endurance Tire Pressure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS