cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 2011 Equinox

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I infrequently tow a 2011 Equinox. Because we are heading to Colorado, I am adding an Aux Brake system.

I am adding a charge line from the RV.

Am I correct in presuming that the Equinox towing set-up will be the same EXCEPT that I to NOT have to pull fuse 32?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have also put in a relay that connects my RV and toad only when the coach is running so I can keep the two attached without any battery issues.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The rear 12V power is hot with fuse pulled.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
They also make an easy fuse disconnect switch if needed.

Ava,

I already have the RV-to-Towed set up configured so that a relay automatically opens the fuse path when the lighting umbilical is plugged in.

With the Equinox, no matter the key position, the lighter/power port is DISABLED when the fuse 32 circuit is opened or the fuse pulled. I NEED the power port to be operational to power the Brake System.

I was planning to attach the charge line to the HOUSE battery with a power relay between the RV and Equinox batteries.

The power relay would be pulled in by the alternator output. That way the alternator would charge both/batteries only when the engine is running and the Equinox would NOT draw from the house battery when the engine is NOT running.

For example, if we stop for the night and do not unhook the Equinox, the batteries will be separated and a load on either end would not draw down both batteries.

Tim

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Should be fine if you are charging it from the RV. You might have to tow it for a few hours then try it to be sure. They also make an easy fuse disconnect switch if needed.