cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F53 tag axle brakes

colonelcorto
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a subject that is beat to death but where do I start on diagnosing my tag axle brakes on my 1996 F53 chassis? We took the motorhome out this weekend and for the first time I towed my car. I live in Indiana and my tow car weighs 2990 lbs(CAT scaled) so I don't a brake system on it. Camping was great but minutes before I arrived back home we had a hard stop. I was actually kind of impressed at how well it stopped but when I got home and started dropping the car I smelled hot brakes. I decided to give each wheel a feel.

I reached through the hub cap and felt the back side of the steel wheel. The fronts were both hot, as expected. The drive wheels were fairly warm but not as hot as the front. The driver side tag was warm and the curb side was cold.

I believe I have the MORryde tag axle (I'll check tomorrow) and I believe that usually the master cylinder fails. However, since I have some warm brakes on one wheel of the tag that suggests that the master cylinder is not the problem, right? Where should I start diagnosing? MORryde is only a few miles from my house, should I take it by and see if I can talk someone into coming out and taking a look?
7 REPLIES 7

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Just thinking on any car over 1,500 pounds you need a breaking devise no ? the only car I had was a small geo metro and it just got by with out one. now I have one with my LW 200 Saturn been my toad for a long time.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
colonelcorto wrote:
I know this is a subject that is beat to death but where do I start on diagnosing my tag axle brakes on my 1996 F53 chassis? We took the motorhome out this weekend and for the first time I towed my car. I live in Indiana and my tow car weighs 2990 lbs(CAT scaled) so I don't a brake system on it. Camping was great but minutes before I arrived back home we had a hard stop. I was actually kind of impressed at how well it stopped but when I got home and started dropping the car I smelled hot brakes. I decided to give each wheel a feel.

I reached through the hub cap and felt the back side of the steel wheel. The fronts were both hot, as expected. The drive wheels were fairly warm but not as hot as the front. The driver side tag was warm and the curb side was cold.

I believe I have the MORryde tag axle (I'll check tomorrow) and I believe that usually the master cylinder fails. However, since I have some warm brakes on one wheel of the tag that suggests that the master cylinder is not the problem, right? Where should I start diagnosing? MORryde is only a few miles from my house, should I take it by and see if I can talk someone into coming out and taking a look?

Most of the time, with these units, the slave cylinder back there leaks fluid into the large diaphragm. I eventually got tired of it all and disconnected everything, including the vacuum line, plugging it off at the engine manifold.
With having good toad brakes, that I always recommend, we traveled everywhere in the lower 48, without a problem.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

colonelcorto
Explorer
Explorer
I have an IR temp gun, Arch, I just didn't have it handy that time 😮

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to buy an IR gun and shoot all the brakes.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

colonelcorto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John and Nick, I will try both of these.

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
The brakes shoes are not self adjusting on that setup. Try adjusting the star wheel thru the slot at the bottom of the brake backplate on each side.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could be wrong but I think your tag has it's own master cylinder back by the tag axle. Have you ever changed the brake fluid and bleed the brakes you could have so air on the tag axle brake on the cold side.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH