cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cofair Quick Roof vs Eternabond?

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Called my local RV shop and asked if they had short rolls of Eternabond. Yes. They did. Went in to get it. Was in a hurry. Bought what they gave me and got home with it. Discovered it wasn't Eternabond, but Cofair Quick Roof.

1. Is it equivalent? Have you used both and can give a comparison?

2. Has "eternabond" become a generic name for this sort of product?

I'm a little annoyed that (1) they sold me this without telling me it wasn't Eternabond, and (2) I was in such a hurry that I didn't notice until I got home.

I like the parts guy in this store, and I will continue to do business with them. But I may return this roll unused, since in these days of online shopping I can get the real thing delivered to my door in a day. This Cofair stuff wasn't even any less expensive than Eternabond.

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
7 REPLIES 7

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the interesting and lively replies.

I'm not sure we're getting anywhere, however. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I'm generally not brand conscious, but until someone puts up proof, or we see a lot of posts by people successfully using other products, I'll stick with Eternabond.

But, many really have no idea if it really was Eternabond or not. They bought tape or had it applied by someone else and never looked at the package. Look on You-Tube for RV roof videos and see how many "Pros" and DIYers are talking using Eternabond tape on the seams when in the background, it a package of Quick Roof. As already mentioned, the term Eternabond is often used like Vasoline or BandAid.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I'm generally not brand conscious, but until someone puts up proof, or we see a lot of posts by people successfully using other products, I'll stick with Eternabond.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Called my local RV shop and asked if they had short rolls of Eternabond. Yes. They did. Went in to get it. Was in a hurry. Bought what they gave me and got home with it. Discovered it wasn't Eternabond, but Cofair Quick Roof.

1. Is it equivalent? Have you used both and can give a comparison?

2. Has "eternabond" become a generic name for this sort of product?

I'm a little annoyed that (1) they sold me this without telling me it wasn't Eternabond, and (2) I was in such a hurry that I didn't notice until I got home.

I like the parts guy in this store, and I will continue to do business with them. But I may return this roll unused, since in these days of online shopping I can get the real thing delivered to my door in a day. This Cofair stuff wasn't even any less expensive than Eternabond.

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

-Speak

The whole key to why Eternabond is so good is in it's microsealant which is trademarked and proprietary so there ARE NO SUBSTITUTES and IMO all others are just WANNABES and run a DISTANCE SECOND to real Eternabond.

I did my entire roof penetrations along with both edges back in March 2008 and now 11+ years later not a single area (except for about 10in on the leading edge of the front cap seam) have come loose and that one area only about 1/4 in of the 4 in width came loose. I also did not use extra caulk along any of the Eternabond edges except for that front cap leading edge after that small area came loose about 4 or 5 years ago. Properly applied Eternabond is a good as it gets IMO .... I would accept NO SUBSTITUTE PERIOD!!!!

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Royal Adhesives manufactures Eternabond as a roofing product. It is not specific to the RV industry. It's manufactured in commercial rolls and sheets. There are secondary marketing companies that may buy the product in bulk and repackage it under another name in more useful and manageable products for the RV market. Eternabond is a single jack-of-all-trades product for sealing non granulated roofs. In the world of RV roof material, consider Eternabond the "duct tape" of roof repair tapes.

Cofair, like Royal, manufactures adhesive products but geared towards specific industries. That is why a product like Quick-Roof is packaged for RV use AND for different types of roof material. The Quick-Roof product labeled for RV use will come in a couple of different formulas designed for use on a specific grouping of roof material. That is why you may find one for EDPM another for TPO and another for metal roofs. Although they are almost the same and will work just fine regardless of the roof material, the adhesives will just work better on the materiel it was optimally designed to adhere too.

If you were to grab Eternabond, Quick-Roof and even Flex-Tape, in the end they all work similarly and are close cousins. Often times the decision comes down to who did the best marketing to convince you their product is better. I know people who swear by Eternabond only to discover the product used was actually Quick-Roof.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Cofair Quick Roof is an entirely different company.It may be to some people that Eternabond has become a generic for other brands.

Eternabond does sell smaller quantities 6x6 patch in white, 4"x5' repair kit in white, 4" x 37' roll in white, and the 4" x 25' roll in white.

The newer name is SticknBond

Still made by Eternabond,Leisure Time products,but in smaller patches and smaller rolls.

Also available on Amazon
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I read this post so make sure it's compatible with your roof. It sounds like it's made for Aluminum roofs.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=97426.0
I bought a roll of Eternabond and that's what it says on the packaging. Not cheap but the stuff works great!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.