Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Loading/unloading on uneven ground
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Loading/unloading on uneven ground

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Joe417

AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It won't be a problem if you level the truck first (especially side to side) as Maxum1989 said.

My driveway was very un-level for years. I could get the TC in and out but it was a pain, very uncomfortable. I've learned a bit the hard way.

I ended up bending the two right side jacks as they were on the low side and start to tilt the camper back to level as you raise it. I didn't "do the math" until I had damaged them.

The jacks bow because they touch the ground inboard of vertical. As you raise the TC to level, the jacks won't slide, they bend slightly.

I did it 4 or 5 times before the jacks were bent enough that the motors started pulling too much current and blow the right side fuse in the controller. Use some 2x's to level the truck and you should have no problems.

I've built a pad for loading and unloading the TC, but haven't replaced the jacks yet. The gravel was much cheaper than a set of jacks.

Joe & Evelyn

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

You have four jacks on your camper. Place some plywood or metal plates under the feet. Load/unload as needed. Don’t over think it. I have unloaded camper on some crazy uneven ground-no worries-just go slow.

I load and unload on uneven ground a lot at home. It helps tremendously to have an experienced spotter and to go very slow. The truck may look lined up perfectly going in but then you need to adjust while halfway or further under the camper due to the uneven ground. It's amazing how much you can adjust without giving up and starting over.

Most of my adjustments end up being something like turning the wheel all the way to the right and move about an inch or two, then straighten out.

It's certainly not a fun exercise but it can be done, depending on how uneven the ground is.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry an assortment of pressure treated cut deck boards in my side compartment just for that scenario. Mine don't fit as tight (glad of that) and usually, if the ground is uneven, I just take my tie down's off and level the camper wit the truck under it.

I've offloaded my camper on a slope before and it takes some skill with the jacks to get it off and on again but it's certainly doable, just takes time and concentration.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never try to “level” the truck with camper on and then unload. Means you have to basically construct a ramp for the entire truck. Talking 30’ long.
Unload it where the grade is consistent even if not level. Raise the camper off the truck square to the truck, not square to the world.
After unloading level the camper. Raise camper back to the same position it was when unloaded for re loading.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What joe417 said happened to him should never happen if you raise and lower the camper properly from sloped to level.
Consider this. The footprint of the jacks is the same regardless. If you tilt the camper the right way and only “level” one direction at a time, it will be fine.
If talking extreme angles then the jacks could get side loaded but they still shouldn’t slide or shift against the ground unless you induce more bending in the camper by not pushing the right buttons at the right time.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t understand the problem? You have 4 jacks, lower each-independently-until they touch the ground. You have now negated any delta in topography. Raised all 4 jacks simultaneously from this point.
Why is this so hard?

You are overthinking.

I prefer NOT to use a ‘spotter” or any “help” for that matter. I much prefer to load/unload alone so I can focus.

Good luck, go slow, it ‘ain’t hard.

Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ This. The only kicker is that the truck does not change angle significantly when pulling away until it is clear of the camper.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would you unload on uneven ground ?
Move the truck ,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Loading/unloading on uneven ground
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.