cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing without a weight distribution

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Wildwood X-lite 30ft travel trailer. I am towing with a F350. I currently use an EAZ lift set up with weight distribution and sway control. One of the weight distribution bars won't stay in. It keeps coming out of the (not sure what you would call it) hitch. It appears that the retaining clip is bad. I know it can be replaced and is a cheap part but I am not handy.

Is it okay to tow my trailer (approx. 5500 lbs) without the weight distribution or sway control?
11 REPLIES 11

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hannibal wrote:
If its tongue weight is within the rating of the hitch without WD, I wouldn’t even bother with WD. Our travel trailers are delivered new all over the country by one ton pickups using a simple ball mount. Just my humble non professional non advisory opinion.

I agree.

For gods sake you have a F-350. You could move a house.

If you can't handle a few miles, on a wind free day, to the place to get it fixed then you should not be on the road at all.

I don't see why you would need one at all. But, I am an old farm hand that moved many, many, livestock around all day long without a WDH. I didn't even know there was such a thing until I joined this site.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If its tongue weight is within the rating of the hitch without WD, I wouldn’t even bother with WD. Our travel trailers are delivered new all over the country by one ton pickups using a simple ball mount. Just my humble non professional non advisory opinion.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get it fixed.
Plenty of rigs end up on their sides because someone "did not need a WD hitch."

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Id say your good to go. 5k with a 1 ton shouldn't be a problem as long as your within hitch rating.

I'm a non WD user too. This year we have over 7,000 miles towing so far.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess the truck might ride better without the WDH. More weight on the rear of an F350 should soften the ride. If your trailer weighs what you say you can't have more than about 800 pounds of tongue weight. I would think your factory truck hitch is rated to carry that.

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
I have a RAM 3500. recently towed my 38' camper, about 1100 tongue weight without the WDH. was super bouncy, could've been the road, but the rear of my truck felt very 'soft.'
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've towed my slightly lighter trailer with an F150 without the WD on. I prefer to have them on, but especially for short trips, I don't bother.

I'll echo the previous comments, contact the mfg. When you push the bars in, do you hear it click? Are you pushing them in at 90° to their installed position?

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
My bars come out as well because the clip has a bit too much friction going into the hole. Not sure if this is your clip issue, but when this happens to me, I shoot it with WD-40, or just push the clip in. Once I have it in, it never seems to pop out.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
As was mentioned, you have enough truck, but with the trailer being a lightweight, you may find that it will get squirrelly without a WD/sway system in place, and apparently you believe the part to be a simple fix. Why not contact the manufacturer to ask for assistance on getting back to what you are used to and familar with?
eaz-lift

That should also be an easy and cheap fix on any RV repair shop.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As was mentioned, you have enough truck, but with the trailer being a lightweight, you may find that it will get squirrelly without a WD/sway system in place, and apparently you believe the part to be a simple fix. Why not contact the manufacturer to ask for assistance on getting back to what you are used to and familar with?
eaz-lift

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in and if it's not sagging in the middle, you will generally be ok as your truck seems adequate.

And check the handling too.