Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can I Get Away With a Quick Brake Job in a Campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Can I Get Away With a Quick Brake Job in a Campground?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just pull into a NAPA, or similar, buy the parts, park the truck off to the side, and have at it. If there is any question, tell anybody that's bothering you that it's an emergency, you nearly went through the last light, and found fluid flowing out of the caliper.

I was towing a travel trailer through Bangor Maine one summer, when a front brake pad decided to separate from the backer, and leave the scene. I did exactly what I suggest, and nobody cared. The other good part of that plan is that you are right there when you discover that you need some additional part to get the job done.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Can I Get Away With...” No! And don’t try without permission.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just pull into a NAPA, or similar, buy the parts, park the truck off to the side, and have at it. If there is any question, tell anybody that's bothering you that it's an emergency, you nearly went through the last light, and found fluid flowing out of the caliper.

I was towing a travel trailer through Bangor Maine one summer, when a front brake pad decided to separate from the backer, and leave the scene. I did exactly what I suggest, and nobody cared. The other good part of that plan is that you are right there when you discover that you need some additional part to get the job done.

This would be my advice. If anyone hassles you explain that it was safer to do the job in the parking lot than try to go elsewhere and you had difficulty finding a facility that was willing to do the work.

BTW, is there any such thing as a "quick" brake job? [emoticon]

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soren wrote:

This is definitely something I have been thinking of. I have seen a lot of people at Napa or AutoZone doing things on their car. Long as I was off to the side I don’t think anybody would bother me.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good lord.

Your brakes did not fail yesterday, From your post, yet you have no problem driving around, with an inability to stop? And risk hitting and killing people? And you think only of how it would inconvenience you to get them fixed?

What on Gods green earth is wrong with you!

* This post was edited 05/30/19 04:18pm by winnietrey *

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QUIT DRIVING AROUND WITH NO BRAKES! Park on the side of the road and do it.Or find a Walmart lot or Autozone lot.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it easy there guys. I have an exhaust brake. And a granny gear. I can get down to 10 or 5 mph. It’s coming to a complete stop that is proving to be very difficult. It works, just not well.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that this post is some kind of sick joke. What kind of selfish person would drive around without fully functioning brakes? Especially with a TC on top of the truck. I would never put others in danger like that, I could not live with myself if I injured or killed someone.

If you caused an accident and it could be proven that you knew about the problem, your insurance company may get away without paying any claims.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn’t want to bring it to a shop, feels mechanics that don’t want to use a floor jack are “lazy”, doesn’t want to do the job in a Walmart parking lot, doesn’t stay at campgrounds. What do you want the mechanic to do, come to the someplace to fix your brakes? Are you joking?

Brake fluid gone, parking brake (btw, is NO substitute for brakes) doesn’t work. Dude, you need more than just replacement pads! You’re a mess who needs to be removed from the road until the truck works correctly.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are weird. I don’t see this as that big of a problem. I can control the vehicle. Pretty much. Enough to get it somewhere to fix the brakes. None of the other posters had a problem. They offered some constructive good advice.

I guess like anything on the Internet, now it’s the time for the haters after the good advice is done.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Can I Get Away With a Quick Brake Job in a Campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS