Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
reelcamper1

Palos Heights, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a catastrophic fuel pump failure in our 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel......lost all power steering, brakes, etc. Dealer wants $12000 to repair! When the pump fails, metal shavings go thru entire fuel line, etc
After researching online, GM knew about this (CP4 fuel pump) issue before we bought our new truck in 2015!
We were lucky this happened at our seasonal campground & not while towing our 5th wheel in traffic.
Posting this as a warning to all of you with a GM diesel 2011-2016

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12k wow!curious any warrenty?

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would contact GM. They've been pretty fair on most of the CP4 pump failures from what I've seen.

This is why the CP4 pump sucks. It probably isn't likely to go on any given truck, but if you're unlucky and it does on yours have a really big problem.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a long shot but you can ask your local dealer if they can use some their goodwill warranty money to help you out. Rarely covers everything but sometimes you can get them to cover parts.

I’m also betting there is an aftermarket filter one can add to the output side of the pump to protect everything downstream.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford 6.7 Diesels use the same pump. I've read the horror stories about the CP4 on the Ford diesel forums. $12K is not out of line to repair the damage caused by this pump when it fails catastrophically. You have my sincere sympathy. I cross my fingers that it never happens to me.

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There were no 200 BAR (2,900 PSI) rated filters found during the original thread on CP4 failures...learned a ton about the Bosch CP4 diesel injection system on this forum

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-ss-diesel-mo

Would this helped?

Link didn't work right???

Google up cp4 bypass kit, supposed to be good

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That stinks, sorry to hear that.
Did they deny warranty on miles or fuel contamination?

If I had a CP4 pump truck, I'd be looking at how to fit or retrofit the new S&S Diesel CP4 Blocker plate onto it. Requires a lift pump to push fuel (gm's don't have a lift pump but can add one).

The blocker plate keeps the fuel that is in the cam part of the pump from feeding though the plungers into the high pressure side and ultimately the injectors.
There's a recent thread on here about it. Pretty ingenious IMO.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

reelcamper1

Palos Heights, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No extended warranty, not covered on drivetrain! Thanks for all the info....still trying to get them to pay for costs! Going to try the suggestion for "goodwill warranty" money as suggested

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

reelcamper1 wrote:

No extended warranty, not covered on drivetrain! Thanks for all the info....still trying to get them to pay for costs! Going to try the suggestion for "goodwill warranty" money as suggested

I have read where your insurance will cover that pump, "IF" there was rust detected in the pump from bad fuel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS