Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Until the OP provides more info, we’re all just speculating at the cause, warranty , miles, etc.
could have 300k on it and be so far out of warranty or it could be a crappy dealer hosing him on warranty or it could be bad fuel and a call to the insurance company is in order.

Now why would you want to ruin a thread that is bound to explode with common sense? [emoticon]

OP, I feel for you and hope you get the issue covered under warranty or insurance.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well know issue, so is the plastic cooling fan grenading and taking out 3 wiring harnesses and coolant lines. Also will severely damage your hood at the same time.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 01:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

Well know issue, so is the plastic cooling fan grenading and taking out 3 wiring harnesses and coolant lines. Also will severely damage your hood at the same time.

Well known issue, fan grenading? First time I have heard of that. Good thing your in a 92 Dodge, they never break. Crazy things happen, no matter what emblem is on the hood. There are motors that are notoriously bad, 6.5 not too good, IH 6.0 and 6.4 really bad. The Duramax is a proven engine. As is the Ford 6.7 and the 5.9/6.7 Cummins. Things happen and the odds are against it being catastrophic, even with the CP4 (like around 2% as I last read), but when it happens to you, the odds don't mean much.

I don't know if it relates but I use GM fuel filters and I let the dealer change it. I learned on an LLY 5500 that I was using NAPA fuel filters on. Lost an injector, and washed a cylinder. Related? I don't know but I have heard from engine builders when I was looking to rebuild it, that it is best to stay with the GM fuel filters. I think having documented fuel filter changes with OEM filters matters on issues like this. Just a suggestion regardless if its a GM CP4 or another OEM.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halmfamily wrote:

There is a new upgrade on the market for Duramax that will let you change the CP4 pump to a CP3. The article was in Trailer Life magazine, one of the last two issues. Might be worth checking out if have to come out of pocket

Not new... CP3 retro fit kits have been around for several years now.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The complete set of parts for this repair is about $3500 from InjectorsDirect, the rest is going to be about 40 hours labor. Usually the cab is removed from the chassis for this repair due to access difficulty.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where's huntindog? [emoticon] Crickets.... Probably why his supposedly data is wrong.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

Well known issue, fan grenading? First time I have heard of that. Good thing your in a 92 Dodge, they never break. Crazy things happen, no matter what emblem is on the hood. There are motors that are notoriously bad, 6.5 not too good, IH 6.0 and 6.4 really bad. The Duramax is a proven engine. As is the Ford 6.7 and the 5.9/6.7 Cummins. Things happen and the odds are against it being catastrophic, even with the CP4 (like around 2% as I last read), but when it happens to you, the odds don't mean much.

I don't know if it relates but I use GM fuel filters and I let the dealer change it. I learned on an LLY 5500 that I was using NAPA fuel filters on. Lost an injector, and washed a cylinder. Related? I don't know but I have heard from engine builders when I was looking to rebuild it, that it is best to stay with the GM fuel filters. I think having documented fuel filter changes with OEM filters matters on issues like this. Just a suggestion regardless if its a GM CP4 or another OEM.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-253772.html

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/06-07-lbz-lly-duramax-powertrain/131377-2006-c5500-jayco-seneca-mh-fan-explodes-taking-out-radiator.html

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

ksss wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-253772.html

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/06-07-lbz-lly-duramax-powertrain/131377-2006-c5500-jayco-seneca-mh-fan-explodes-taking-out-radiator.html

Sorry, that doesn't rise to the level of a widespread issue. Not even close.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot wrote:

Your warning should not be limited to the 2011-16 Duramax.

2011-current Powerstroke diesel
2019 Ram with Cummins
Jeep/Ram eco diesel
Titan with Cummins

Am I missing anything here?

Looks like GM is the only one to drop the CP4 in the last three years...

VW and Audi, and maybe more European cars and trucks.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP hasn’t been back. Left us hanging....lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.