cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campgrounds along or near Hwy 12 in Idaho

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I will be going over the Lolo Pass from Missoula and looking for campgrounds near or along Hwy. 12 in late July or early August. I noticed that there are several NFS CGs along the Hwy. However, only two look like they would work for our 38 ft. fiver, Wendover and Wilderness Gateway. Our trailer is 13’4”” tall, we need good area for maneuverability and some open sites. An old Coleman NFS CG directory states that there are both wooded and open sites in both. Does anyone have knowledge of these campgrounds or any privately owned campgrounds that they would recommend along this route between Missoula and Kooskia. Thanks in advance for your help.
18 REPLIES 18

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Older thread but here's a nice one right on 12. The fee of $9 with full hookups for seniors is a real savings. The camp host was very friendly also. https://www.blm.gov/visit/pink-house-recreation-site

Thanks so much for this info, we didn’t make it to this area last summer as we had planned. It is still on our radar, so I will take a look at this cg. Thank you so much!

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Older thread but here's a nice one right on 12. The fee of $9 with full hookups for seniors is a real savings. The camp host was very friendly also. https://www.blm.gov/visit/pink-house-recreation-site

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Pretty drive. I usually use Google satellite view to find pull off spots, but that road doesn't show too many of those. Must be hilly.
Very few, we stay at a place, ok, poorly run this summer.
So big a world, so little time to see.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:
Sorry for not responding sooner. No all the spots are not big rig friendly. We just happened to get a big pull thru spot.

Thanks!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for not responding sooner. No all the spots are not big rig friendly. We just happened to get a big pull thru spot.
Betsy

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:
We stayed at Powell with big FW. Was fine. We could walk to the lodge. They had the best onion rings we have ever had, anywhere.

Are most or all of the sites big rig friendly? We missed the turn off so we ended up staying at Wilderness Gateway. Are all the sites big rig friendly?

Thanks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
We loved Powell. We were there about 30 years ago with our popup, before they added hookups. Just a beautiful spot - and the lodge was a bonus! Hoping to get back there next year.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Powell with big FW. Was fine. We could walk to the lodge. They had the best onion rings we have ever had, anywhere.
Betsy

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on Hwy 12. I think we are going to give it a try. I am really looking forward to it!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a bad pull really. We did it with our 30 ft. trailer with no problem but your rig is heavier I know. The problem I found with the pullouts is they come up quite fast with no signs to tell you one is ahead. You will be past one before you can brake and pull over to use it. State law is to let other cars pass if you start holding up traffic.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome. Hwy 12 is a good drive. Two lane, very scenic. Even some spots to pull over. We have dogs and have had to stop over for them to get out. At the Lolo Pass visitor center is a huge parking lot that will fit any size of RV.

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much, I. Really appreciate all the info. ReneeQ, I will check those websites and Campendium. Have not previously heard of it! DH loves to fish and I have been known to wet a hook, so camping along the Lochsa sounds inviting. How tough a pull is Hwy 12 along that stretch? Should have included that question in my original post.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
oops, didn't read OP well enough
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Our FW is 36' and 12'10" tall. We stayed at Wilderness Gateway. There are several pull throughs in the first loop, probably the roomier of the two. Go to Campendium, create a login and you'll be able to see a few good photos of Wilderness Gateway under the Kooskia listing in Idaho. Also go to this full-timer's web site, scroll down to 2010, to the Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers North Central ID link. Jerry Johnson campground is another possibility for you. The information is listed. In case the link doesn't work the address is https://www.fulltime.hitchitch.com/

Yes, there are wooded and open sites, at least in the first loop for sure. Not sure of the second as we did not see it.