Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How do you share camping expenses?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How do you share camping expenses?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
MURPHY55347

Savage, MINNESOTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 02:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It always seems that it's money that ruins relationships. Watch Judge Judy. If you asked her to come along and you did not specify up front who was paying for what then I would have just paid for her. We're not talking huge sums of cash here. Sorry but I agree...too many excuses.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 04:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only camp with a couple situations:

My Daughter and her friends. I pay for site, food. They pay for extra curricular events like boat rental, horseback riding, fishing licenses, etc. that they may decide to do or not do.

A large group of friends (About 10-15 most years) that we have had a yearly campout for about 35 years now. one person goes shopping for all main meals. Everyone brings their own drinks and snacks. We total all expenses except the drinks and snacks (Site fees, Ice, Food, firewood, etc) and add up how many days each person has been there as some come in on Thursday and some Friday. Total them up and we have how many Mandays (1 day x 1 person) If it's 45 man-days, we divide the total amount by that number and then each person pays that times the number of days they were there.

Lastly is if I invite someone to go camping with me, they get the same treatment my daughter and her friends do. I pay for everything I normally would, they pay for extra's. I invited them, I plan on feeding them unless they decide to bring their own stuff and then we can cook together or they can do their thing, whichever they prefer.
If they get their own site, then their on their own other than welcome to share in our meals and campfires free of charge.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fishing buddy has joined us in the Keys for a week or two for the past two winters. He pays for his flight and we pick him up at Key West. He stays in our TT on a site that is about 3000.00 for a month. I haul his fishing kayak and gear from NC to the Keys. He buys some food and takes us out to eat while he is there. My wife and I enjoy his company and visa versa. Never thought about tallying up how much he owes me for the site etc.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now you have an experience to learn from. Get all expense issues set before you go or don’t go.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whichever path you decide, decide up front. If that is too awkward, then pay for it all.

We have done it all sorts of ways, whatever comes natural. Sometimes our tenting friends get their own site, other times they share our site. When sharing our site, they offered to pay half and we accepted. I don't think I would have asked.

We have always just split meal duty, each taking half of the shopping and cooking responsibility. Seems to work.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we invite someone NEW to camping for a night or two, we pay for everything. If it is going to be for longer, we explain to the newbie how campgrounds work and the costs. We usually just split the costs in half - easier to figure out. Meals we plan out in advance - so far everyone we've camped with jumps in and offers to pay / provide an equal amount of meals.

We used to camp with 3 other families, and I would pull my hair out - because they were very much into "bring whatever, whenever". They wouldn't have set times for meals, and you never knew what was for dinner, or if you would have multiples of the same food. We always had a blast with the group camping, but I am a "planner", and would get a bit frustrated with the lack of meal planning.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

call dear ABBY , just pay it and shut up. its only money ,not life or death.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you need Dr. Phil, not RV.net.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Money isn't everything. Go and enjoy each others company. It's not about the money or dividing things equally!
It's obvious some value money more than there friendships.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my last shared trip I paid for the gas and campsite because I would have that cost anyway. My guest paid for and cook all the food. Very happy even if my cost was much more.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How do you share camping expenses?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS