Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Washington DC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

Senior Member

Joined: 03/06/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/19 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How easy is it to use the metro around Washington DC, will be staying at Cherry Hill RV park


Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/19 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very easy. Park at Greenbelt station. There is a large Park and Ride lot there. You may want to consider purchasing Smartrip cards for each person ahead of time at the WMATA.com site. That way you're not dealing with the fare kiosks but can just get through the turnstiles and go. Study the maps a bit ahead of time. It helps to know not only which color route you need when connecting but also which direction you need to go, which is displayed on each train based on its final destination. Once you get a feel for it it's a piece of cake. No way would I drive myself around and try to park.

Also, take advantage of the free Circulator buses to get around the National Mall.


Dave & Christy
5 Awesome Girls (23,21,19, 13 and 11)
2014 Winnebago Vista 35B
2012 Ford Flex LTD FWD Toad


jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/01/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Metro is incredibly easy to use to get to any of the DC area attractions.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 06/01/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Cherry Hill a week or so ago. They do a presentation at 4:00 each day on Metro. They can help you alot!


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


mdcamping

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 03/04/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

We stayed at Cherry Hill a week or so ago. They do a presentation at 4:00 each day on Metro. They can help you alot!


X2

Combine that with metro bus pickup in front of the campground store to subway train terminal makes it convenient for most DC museums . [emoticon]

Mike


07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped


DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 06/01/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave in TN wrote:

Very easy. Park at Greenbelt station. There is a large Park and Ride lot there. You may want to consider purchasing Smartrip cards for each person ahead of time at the WMATA.com site. That way you're not dealing with the fare kiosks but can just get through the turnstiles and go. Study the maps a bit ahead of time. It helps to know not only which color route you need when connecting but also which direction you need to go, which is displayed on each train based on its final destination. Once you get a feel for it it's a piece of cake. No way would I drive myself around and try to park.

Also, take advantage of the free Circulator buses to get around the National Mall.


NO need to drive to the Greenbelt station as the Metro bus will pick you up at the campground. No need to pre-purchase any fare cards. The multiple fare card vending machines are at every station, and for sale at the campground office. The train system is one of the most user friendly in the world, and if you get confused, just ask someone. However, just study the map on line before you go! It is really very easy.

NoVa RT

Northern Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 08/28/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/19 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

METRO is by far the best way to get around, and Cherry Hill has an orientation with plenty of info to assist you. That said, if you’re going to do the Monuments, Memorials & Museums on the National Mall (you should), there’s quite a bit of walking between locations, and Washington, DC can be pretty hot in summer. Pace yourself, don’t try to do too much in one day.

If you do the National Zoo (not on Mall, but located between two Red Line METRO Stations), Pro Tip: Get off at Cleveland Park when arriving, and depart via the Woodley Park Station. That way it is downhill both ways.

* This post was edited 06/04/19 01:00am by NoVa RT *


2013 RT 190-Popular


Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 11/25/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NoVa RT wrote:

METRO is by far the best way to get around, and Cherry Hill has an orientation with plenty of info to assist you. That said, if you’re going to do the Monuments, Memorials & Museums on the National Mall (you should), there’s quite a bit of walking between locations, and Washington, DC can be pretty hot in summer. Pace yourself, don’t try to do too much in one day.

If you do the National Zoo (not on Mall, but located between two Red Line METRO Stations), Pro Tip: Get off at Cleveland Park when arriving, and depart via the Woolley Park Station. That way it is downhill both ways.


[emoticon]


Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach



Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.