cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer door needs shortened

granddad
Explorer
Explorer
Hello . New old guy checking in . We do own a Winnebago Winnie drop and like it fine I am building a overhead truck camper shell . It will have a full back as I will remove the tailgate for easier entry . Here is my problem . The door . I need a 50 in door . And wow are they cheap ! LOL . JOKE ! I am wondering if I can take a new firberglass door assembly with screen door and take the bottom trim off and reuse the bottom trim and cut the door down to fit ? No idea what kind of super wonder adhesive they use to assemble these . Worried the bottm trim will be unusable after with much care removing the cut out portion of the door from it .

Has anyone attempted this ? It will be a very expensive lesson if it is undoable because of how it is attached to the door itself .

I have tools and some skills , and not enough good sense to not have a fear of something like this job .LOL

Anyone who could advise me on my 50 Tall door quest I would greatly thank you . Holding up my framing progress .

Thanks Warren
9 REPLIES 9

granddad
Explorer
Explorer
Well , after much thought and completing the base for my cabover camper shell build . I am conceding to the wiser idea of my wife and just going to order a new ARE walk in door MX camper shell . Don't defeated but as I never played with fiberglass and the price of windows and door ,auto paint . Its only $700 dollars more for one that is perfect . I have a complete base for a quad cab 18 ram I would give to someone who want to take over project . All poplar wood glued with dowls threwout . Perfect base , it took me 2 weeks to do that matching the contours of the bed .

Throwing in the towel but not defeated .

Warren

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
I cut the bottom off of the entry door and screen door after installing the Morryde steps on our 2008 Cardinal and a 2011 Jayco that belongs to a friend.You will find that screen door is simple. If you remove the screen the bottom will pull right off. You can then cut the door down and reinstall the bottom. The exterior door is not much harder, The bottom is screwed or rivited on. after removing it you will likely have to use a jig saw to cut the frame while the inside skin, usually vinyl, can be cut with sheet metal cutters. The outside skin is fiberglass and is easiest cut with the jig saw and a fine tooth metal cutting blade.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

granddad
Explorer
Explorer
As I need a 50" door I will be cutting over 20 " off .I will just do whatever needs done to make it look perfect when Im done . Some of these door prices are crazy for sure .

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK how much are you planning to cut off? I ask because most of the interior of these exterior fiberglass doors is just insulating foam. Wood around the edges. So if you cut too much off you will be into that foam and will have to epoxy wood bars into the door edge to support it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

granddad
Explorer
Explorer
Well I ordered the door . I guess I will be the first kid on the block to take a skillsaw to one . LOL. I am a little ways out from doing the door framing and cutting so , give me a few weeks . I will share what ever happens fail or thumbs up .

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
In general doors have wood around the edges, maybe 3 or 4 inches. The inside is filled with foam, on the cheapest doors it is filled with air. There probably are one or two crosspieces, one at handle level for sure.

Now an RV door may be different. But in the above method you can trim an inch or two off the top and bottom and interior doors are often trimmed to fit. Not so exterior doors which is what you have.

How a pro would do it

I still think you will be better off ordering a door in the right size.
Superbumper

granddad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks . Actually I guess I need to know how these doors are built is more the question . I know I can cut it easy enough but getting the bottom trim to stay In place is really the problem .I looked at out Winnie drop door and don't see but 2 screws down low on the frame , trim . Wish I could see how these are built and I could go from there . Cant be that complicated .

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are in Oklahoma...check out Colaw RV Salvage, could come up with a 50" used door.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your local Lowes/Homedepot they can custom make doors for you.
Superbumper