cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tested the blue camco filter with a TDS meter

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I ran about 150 gallons through the filter and then checked the total dissolved solids.

Garden Hose: 94, 97, 100, 98
Camco filter: 98, 104
Reverse Osmosis: 23
50 REPLIES 50

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
For potable water I plan on installing an RO with PH balancing stage. The PH adds calcium and Mg back into the water - since RO strips out everything.

Excellent idea. I just started using this "remineralizer".

way2roll wrote:
I plan on installing the RO in a bin rather than under the sink and run the lines for supply. I have not pinned down what I will do with the wastewater. The units I buy are 1:5 waste water to filtered. Normally in a house the wastewater goes down the drain. In an RV I may capture it and recycle it or just let it drip on the ground. Happy to hear from anyone who's handled this.

I suggest under-the-sink unless it's impractical.

I run my RO waste water back into my water tank. Zero waste.

way2roll wrote:
Some - if not most of you - probably think it's way overkill.

Hardly. Here's my water filtration system:

A = Watts pressure regulator + separate back flow preventer.

B = Big Blue 5-micron sediment filter. Why 5-micron? Because that's the smallest recommended size that can be cleaned over and over.

C = Big Blue carbon block filter.

D = Water softener.

E = Water flow meter (for the UV filter).

F = 8 GPM UV filter.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TiWi
Explorer
Explorer
Actually one and the same bottle of water might differently affect stomachs of different people. Last year my husband brought home one strange thing. I don't know how to name it, but we used it to check the quality of water. We took bottled water, water from filter and tap water. We expected tap water to be the worst one, but in reality it was a little better than bottled one. Water from filter (we had Berkey filter) was the best one. Probably the result might had been better, if we had taken bottle from another company, but who knows.
Anyway even today we still prefer to drink filtered water, and stay away from experimentations.
Don't forget to smile

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I lived on our boat and traveled extensively all over the waters of the U.S., the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Central America. Our water came from wells, cisterns, and municipal water supplies. We only used sediment filters and we drank the water, washed, and cook with it. We have never been sick or had any ill effects from the water. We do the same with our RV and have traveled all over the U.S, and parts of Canada. We have never seen folks more obsessed with water issues than we have with RV folks. I'm not sure what everyone is so afraid will happen, but everyone has to do what makes them comfortable. For us, there are plenty of other issues to perseverate over. You have no idea or control over the filtration process of the bottling process in bottled water. Plus the pollution index for plastic bottles is off the charts. But that's really not something to be concerned about. Chuck

Here's a good article, IS YOUR BOTTLED WATER WORTH IT?: HOW BOTTLED WATER IS TREATED

And here is more for you bottled water fans, Bottled Water vs. Tap Water

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You will not get high quality drinking water from an inline filter, other than RO.

The best is to get a counter top filter like the Berky. These are charcoal filters that have about the highest filtration you can find. You can also add a fluoride filter to take out other toxic waste contamination.
I use a Berky travel filter, it does not "travel" as easy as the name says, but is maneagble.
There are others in plastic containers that use what looks like a Jerry can and those look like they travel better.

The just use the sediment filter if desired to keep junk out of your tanks.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We are in the market for a new MH, and when I get it I plan on replicating the setup I have in the S&B.

For the whole house/RV I plan on installing a 2 stage - 1 a sacrificial particulate filter and 2 - a catalytic carbon filter. While catalytic carbon is expensive it removes Chlorine and Chloramine (among other things). Most carbon filters remove Chlorine but more and more municipalities are using Chloramine to "sanitize" water and catalytic carbon is the only way to filter that. They are expensive though, the replacement cartridges hover around $100. For potable water I plan on installing an RO with PH balancing stage. The PH adds calcium and Mg back into the water - since RO strips out everything.

I plan on installing the RO in a bin rather than under the sink and run the lines for supply. I have not pinned down what I will do with the wastewater. The units I buy are 1:5 waste water to filtered. Normally in a house the wastewater goes down the drain. In an RV I may capture it and recycle it or just let it drip on the ground. Happy to hear from anyone who's handled this.

Some - if not most of you - probably think it's way overkill. But my wife has an autoimmune disease and RO water helps to mitigate risk. Also, after living in the Cape fear region I have learned not to trust any public water source. There's also the math, the money spent on making your own clean drinking water is recovered in a pretty short time by not buying bottled water. There is also zero environmental impact.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got a 2.5" filter setup. The housing was $20. 2 pack of filters $11-14. 2 adapters each about a buck.

Wonder the best method for storage. Can go months without using it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken56 wrote:
So it does nothing. Got it. If you need a filter there are better systems out there. They just cost more.

TDS means DISSLOVED Solids. no longer solid can pass through any "Filter" since they are dissloved.

Reverse Osmosis, though we call it a "Filter" it's a bit more complex.. way way more complex in fact in how it works.. Looks like a "Filter" and we call it a filter but the membrane is far more than just a filter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah but the Camco filter looks so cool at the city hookup, got one.
Was drinking Starbucks coffee the day I grabbed it.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
We refill used gallon milk jugs with city water from the house. We use that for cooking and coffee. Bottled water for drinking. Bath and toilet water from the campground. Don't use a filter.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
I use the Camco filter, not to make campground spigot water drinkable but to remove small debri particles from what goes into my camper. I'm more concerned about a rust flake from plumbing from a old campground plumbing system that may have been built 50+ years ago getting into a check valve or my water pump and causing a problem.

I haul my own drinking water for week long trips and use a pitcher filter for longer ones.

exactly what we do and why. i buy the incline "camco" style filters off amazon.

i usually only use about 4 a year. i have had the filter stop enough debris coming into the RV water system from one particular campground spigot to the point of clogging up the filter so much that water would not flow out of the filter.

miaka14
Explorer
Explorer
good

oliver47
Explorer
Explorer
ghooos wrote:
All students use free essays online. But not all of them do it correctly. You may look through free works to have an idea for your essay. Or you may use these works to get more information on the structure and other rules of the work. But you should never copy them as they may have many issues. Trust only professional writers. You may find many companies like fastessay.com offering writing services. Serious agencies take responsibility for their works.

And you can also find some tips in other similar blogs, for example, if you ***Link Removed*** you will find even more tips and hints on how to write a research paper.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
STANG23L wrote:
Looks like there are a few that know quite a bit about filtering water. So here's a question.

The other day an infomercial for Nuvo H2O claiming they work as a water softner & filter. What kind of magic dust do they have in that canister?

Typical "as seen on TV" infomercial huckster junk.

Read the reviews and complaints..

HERE

In a nutshell, it does not "remove" the minerals per say it "binds" them to some certain extent using some sort of supposed citrus based chemicals (exact formulation is unknown trade secret?), unclear what it does after the minerals are "bound", does it pass the bound minerals out? Who knows.

That in it's self makes my skin crawl, who in their right mind would want to purposefully inject an unknown substance into your drinking water and hope that down the road you don't suffer some sort of issue from that..

IF you want a "softener" buy a REAL "softener", they do make portable softeners which use table salt for the regen cycle of the resin beads. These softeners are REUSABLE which means you are not paying for endless replacement cartridges! They are very safe and effective system that leaves only a SMALL trace of sodium in your drinking water (most all of the salt is removed from the filter resin during the back wash cycle and any left reduces to zero during normal usage).

During normal use, the resin beads grab the minerals out of the water and hold on to them until you run the regen cycle which uses table salt to free the minerals from the beads and that gets washed out of the filter.

HERE is one example of a portable water softener that regenerates with table salt.

Infomercials have never been known for "truth in advertising" and the stuff they push is often not worth the money for what you get.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Howdy Folks, small disclaimer here - I work for the company - but a good solution is the PUR faucet mount with the quick disconnect feature. Activated carbon filter with bacterial cyst, lead, and many other contaminants removed. Best thing is that it is right at the point of use so it removes contaminants right before using the water. And very easy to disconnect before travel.

As I said, we use an Aqua-Pure whole house carbon filter, but we also have a faucet mounted PUR filter on the kitchen spout. We don't remove it for travel, and changing cartridges is a simple process. We really, really don't like a chlorine taste in our water. Removing the other contaminants is a bonus... ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate