Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: tested the blue camco filter with a TDS meter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> tested the blue camco filter with a TDS meter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Studies were conducted at WHO and charcoal aggregates were found to be prone to housing mega quantities of virus and bacteria unless the component was changed regularly.

It would be expensive woo-wee but a final pass through a silver laden filter would be useful. I am still searching for an O3 ozone treater that could survive wet tropical conditions.

Proper dosing with O3 is ten thousand percent overkill against pathogens. And the 10,000% is not hyperbole. Algae and single cell lifeforms like amoebic dysentery and giardia are eliminated 101%.

But the devices are expensive and fragile. Dang.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

wopachop wrote:

I ran about 150 gallons through the filter and then checked the total dissolved solids.

Garden Hose: 94, 97, 100, 98
Camco filter: 98, 104
Reverse Osmosis: 23

RO 23? You need to replace the membrane. Should be low single digits.

Depends on what you start with . . . raw AZ water measures between 700 - 800 on my tds meter.

And as others have mentioned, Camcos filter our rocks. That's it. They don't lower total dissolved solids levels or remove minerals, chemicals, viruses or bacteria.

Either use an RO system for drinking water or for just your water tank, use a quality sediment filter with a clear plastic housing.

Why clear plastic?

So you can see when it's time to clean the filter . . .

[image]

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like this?
[image]

Ditch it!

Expensive use once and toss filter.

It IS NOT designed to remove DISSOLVED solids, never was and never will.

It is solely designed to stop NON DISSOLVED (sediment) particles in the water (IE mud, dirt, sand) and if it has charcoal perhaps things that cause off taste like Chlorine.

For sediment instead of using those high priced Camco filters you can use a WHOLE HOUSE replaceable cartridge filter system.

Like this..
[image]

Which you can buy 3/4" pipe to hose bib adapters to connect your hose to and takes filter cartridges which are much cheaper..

String or yarn wound filters can be had for $8 for two and could be removed and dried safely then reused multiple times in your case if that floats your boat.

The advantage is the filter system poses no reduction in water flow (3/4" inlet and outlet) and the filters are much more cost effective than the one and done Camco.

I use this type of cartridge filter as a prefilter for my home water softener system, blocks the mud, dirt and larger iron particles from getting into the water softeners valves preventing the valves from wearing out..

Not everything you use in a RV MUST come from a "RV" brand manufacturer..

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for those links tech writer!

My RV has all types of stuff non RV brand. Been doing remote control dimming leds for many years. Built myself they rock.

Took a marine blower, attached a car filter, and mounted that on the frame. 4" landscape pipe for the ducting.

Love stuff like that.

Will step it up to a real filter when the camco dies.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Thanks for those links tech writer!

My RV has all types of stuff non RV brand. Been doing remote control dimming leds for many years. Built myself they rock.

Took a marine blower, attached a car filter, and mounted that on the frame. 4" landscape pipe for the ducting.

Love stuff like that.

Will step it up to a real filter when the camco dies.

Good plan.

Just realize that if you are not drinking the water there is no need to worry about dissolved solids, they will stay dissolved and not settle out in your freshwater tank or lines.

Non dissolved solids however can be an issue, these types of materials tend to fall out of the water and coat everything in it's path..

If you have the water I have, you WILL understand the ramifications of this issue..

My home water has such a high undissolved iron content, it comes out of the ground looking like red mud! It lines the water pipes and coats valve seats and basically grinds out any valve or moving part in the water flow unless I prefilter it first then hit it with water softener.. Prefiltering allows me to skip iron removal so only a softener is needed to remove the remainder of that the prefilter didn't catch.

For the most part, unless the campground is super primitive a simple whole house filter like I linked should suffice.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use an ordinary sediment filter for all incoming water and a .5 carbon filter at the sink for cooking/drinking water.

In my opinion those blue Camco hose filters are a waste of money and on top of that you don't want to remove chlorine/chloride prior to the tanks.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I have used my RV for hundreds and hundreds of nights over close to 10 years. I have never filtered the water. Only once did I encounter a problem. The water was cloudy and I did not use it. I think it had been tested and was safe but I did not want the silt in the tank and lines. I guess a filter would have been useful for that situation, but I think avoiding the water entirely was a better choice.

You can spend a lot of money on water filtration devices. Some of them even remove chlorine, which is a really bad idea. Instead I just use a Brita for filtering drinking water.

I installed a separate tap and large commercial grade filter at my kitchen sink in the motorhome. This allows me to end up with relatively clean and chlorine free water for ice cubes, drinking and coffee making. Works for me The cartridges are about $40 and get swapped once a year. Since the wife will not use city "swimming pool" water to make coffee, this setup is a lot cheaper than buying gallons of spring water.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Use the Blue in-line filters all the time......have done so for many years
Use fresh water tank for everything...cooking, coffee/tea, washing, showering, teeth brushing and DRINKING.
Fresh water tank is just a big ole water bottle
Water that goes in it is from city water supply..just like at home

S&B water is not filtered to remove TDS etc
RV is just like S&B.....

Folks sure do like to make RVng complicated [emoticon]

That would be why I buy RO water to drink at home, not all water systems are the same. RO water is no matter where I get it, 2 gallon dispenser on counter & 3 3gallon bottles.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used Aqua-Pure whole house taste and odor filter cartridges for years to get rid of the chlorine taste. It also filters 5+ micron rocks, rust, etc. We use our tank water for everything including drinking, and have never suffered an illness traceable to the RV water supply.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy Folks, small disclaimer here - I work for the company - but a good solution is the PUR faucet mount with the quick disconnect feature. Activated carbon filter with bacterial cyst, lead, and many other contaminants removed. Best thing is that it is right at the point of use so it removes contaminants right before using the water. And very easy to disconnect before travel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> tested the blue camco filter with a TDS meter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS