cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop up camper vs hard sided camper

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just started recently looking at TC's. My wife no longer wants to travel in an A. When I went to Alaska I always admired the spots the TC's were able to camp in that I could not. Having said that The pop up type campers seem much lighter so a SRW truck could be used rather than a DRW truck. (I have no need for a DRW truck nor would want to us it as a DD) So a smaller lighter truck to use as a second vehicle would be an advantage. Also being lower in height the CG is lower, does this make much difference in how the vehicle handles? Less suspension add on's? I imagine it would be better in cross winds. Being lower it seems that getting into forested roads and site would be easier also. What would be the disadvantages? Less FW capacity? Colder in fall? Warmer is summer? Has any one on here owned both?
41 REPLIES 41

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
I went back and forth on a pop up or hard side and finally decided on a hard side. Hard sides have more options while pop ups are good for going way off the beaten path.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
magic43 wrote:
Good to hear from you Bob. At least there are still a couple of us '04 models still kicking around. '04 Outfitter Apex 8's and '04 models here on RV Net.

We will leave on the 15th on a ~6800 mile PNW trip which will include your state of Washington, Vancouver Island, BC, and AB, before re-entering the "states" and heading toward home. The Outfitter rocks on trips like this.

Yes, it's nice us Outfitter owners are still around. It says a lot about the quality of our TCs.

Hope your trip goes well! PM me if you come through Spokane.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
This is a perfect trip for a TC, so the Apex-8 Outfitter goes and the 5th wheel stays home.
magic43

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
magic43 wrote:
Don't let "age" make your decisions for you. I will be 76 on the 14th and will leave on a ~7K mile trip on the 15th.

Yes, compromises have to be made, but if you upgrade your F150, please go to an F250 (gas) no matter which camper you decide on.
Will you take your TC or new 5th wheel?

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let "age" make your decisions for you. I will be 76 on the 14th and will leave on a ~7K mile trip on the 15th.

Yes, compromises have to be made, but if you upgrade your F150, please go to an F250 (gas) no matter which camper you decide on.
magic43

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
It really boils down to the same question being asked about small travel trailers for camping....A pop-up TT or a hard sided TT..Each has there advantage and disadvantages for different kinds of camping...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife told me "to surrender the fantasy" I still think I am 25 but my wife and my knees remind me that we are 72. So have started to investigate some 25-27 ft 5th wheels. I am guessing that a short 5th wheel set up would lean less when rounding a corner on mountainous roads than a HS TC, A or C, would that be true? Have more FW capacity than a pop up camper, more storage in general and easier to leave at the campsite than a HS TC. Also thinking you can store stuff in the truck bed like more water when dry camping. And lastly what drove me to look at the TC originally was using the truck as a second vehicle, but when I heard most on here eventually ended up with a DRW I figured I could tow a small 5th wheel with a SRW truck and maybe even the newer Ford 150. Everything is a compromise.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Every type of RV has its advantages. If you get one, I’m sure you and your wife will find out what’s awesome about a pop-up.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear from you Bob. At least there are still a couple of us '04 models still kicking around. '04 Outfitter Apex 8's and '04 models here on RV Net.

We will leave on the 15th on a ~6800 mile PNW trip which will include your state of Washington, Vancouver Island, BC, and AB, before re-entering the "states" and heading toward home. The Outfitter rocks on trips like this.
magic43

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I still really like mine.

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/interview-with-outfitter-apex-8-owner-bob-hammond/
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
For ten years we had a Phoenix popup on a Tundra and loved it. It handled like a dream.

So why did we change to a hardside? Four reasons: (1) We wanted a bathroom. (2) We wanted a freezer. (3) Popping and dropping the top was getting to be a hassle. (It was muscle powered.) (4) Getting out of bed in the middle of the night was becoming a challenge. (We were both over 65 when we switched.)

Yes, the popup had more problems with condensation in cold weather. But we could have lived with that.

Now that we have a hardside, we would not want to return to the popup. But we had many happy years in the popup. And it was perfectly fine on a SRW. For the Northern Lite we have now, we prefer a DRW for stability.

I have mine (pop up) on a 1 ton SRW 4x4......

I have a Waeco fridge with a freezer that actually freezes without freezing the fridge compartment as well...

My roof is electrically powered, push button (Reico-Titan).....

Getting in and out of bed in any TC can be a hassle when you get older (we are in our late 60's).

Condensation in my view is more of an issue with a hardside than a pop up because a popup has better ventilation.

Hard to beat the transport aspect of a pop up. Low profile means much better handling and they are lighter weight too.

The final advantage with us at least is, I keep the unit in the garage when not in use. No outside storage, no weather related issues or seal worries because it's inside 90% of the time.

forgot to add... Full wet bath and shower (inside / outside) with hot and cold water.

Only thing we don't have is an oven but I never used the oven in the HS lance we had previously anyway. Was just a storage compartment.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
ajriding wrote:
At all cost avoid the HECO roof lift system.

What is that? is that what Alaskan uses with the 4 posts in the living area?

Heco is the brand. do a non-google internet search for the pics and it will come up.
Is basically a rack-n-pinion system like steering on autos.

They are great until they go bad, then lots of issues. I ended up getting rid of a camper and really hated the camper due to Heco.
It uses a torsion spring at the roof, under tremendous tension, to make the roof neutrally buoyant. The crank gear is garbage made from garbage steel.
The tension tears at the roof and bends the roof on the end.
When the springs sag the crank gear tears up with each lift, They are about $45-50 shipped for a new one and only made in Australia I think and a WI company sells them, maybe one other seller in US.
Heco has hinged steel round arms that fold into the camper interior when down, at the ceiling, and this is how you spot it. Also has the rack n pinion track under the top bed with a hole in center for the crank gear to insert into. Run away.

Look for a pop-up with a very light roof that is intended to be lifted by hand or is assisted only by the gas shocks like you have in your car hatchback, or the Alaskan lifts, which I know little about but seem to work great, although slow.

I also did not like that the bed had fabric walls, my head and feet were in a tent. I much prefer a solid wall behind my head, and in bed also like to lean the pillow on a real wall to sit up in bed before sleep time.
it was also noisy next to a fabric wall as they do not dampen sounds.
I always felt a bad person could wack me in the head with a bat if they wanted to. I felt vulnerable when boondocking.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A TC is a good idea. You can go everywhere. It is easy to turn around. You can pull a boat or horse trailer. But they are small and a certain amount of hassle for a short trip. A pop-up makes them easier to haul and not as top heavy, but they are too hot and too cold.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
For ten years we had a Phoenix popup on a Tundra and loved it. It handled like a dream.

So why did we change to a hardside? Four reasons: (1) We wanted a bathroom. (2) We wanted a freezer. (3) Popping and dropping the top was getting to be a hassle. (It was muscle powered.) (4) Getting out of bed in the middle of the night was becoming a challenge. (We were both over 65 when we switched.)

Yes, the popup had more problems with condensation in cold weather. But we could have lived with that.

Now that we have a hardside, we would not want to return to the popup. But we had many happy years in the popup. And it was perfectly fine on a SRW. For the Northern Lite we have now, we prefer a DRW for stability.