cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOH Brake Question

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently converted my electric brakes to EOH disc brakes on my tandem axle fifth wheel. The brakes are a great improvement over the electric brakes, but may have an issue to be resolved. While testing the brakes, I drove to a gravel road to check even braking with all four wheels. Using the lever on the P3 brake controller, I could lock the wheels on the front axle, but not the rear axle wheels. The trailer weighs approximately 14,000 pounds. Thinking I may have some air in the rear axle lines, I returned home to bled the lines again. Tested again on the gravel road, still unable to lock the rear axle wheels. When I returned home, I used an infrared thermometer to check the rotor temperatures. All four rotors were within 5 degrees of each other. There are no kinks in the lines between the front and rear axle.

Has anyone experienced the front axle brakes would lock up, but not the rear axle brakes? I bled a third time with no air detected.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
Rvpapa wrote:
Braking front axle tries to wind up spring with axle twist. Rear of front spring is forced up which moves equalizer upwards. This also forces the rear spring down which loads more weight on the rear axle. Pretty much the same results as towing nose high.
Art.

Thanks for your explanation.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Braking front axle tries to wind up spring with axle twist. Rear of front spring is forced up which moves equalizer upwards. This also forces the rear spring down which loads more weight on the rear axle. Pretty much the same results as towing nose high.
Art.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Seems a bit strange, to me. If weight's transferring from rear to front, I'd think that this would unweight the rear axle and cause the =rear= axle to slide before the front, but WTF do =I= know? :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
On stopyourtrailer under videos, there is an installation video. At the end of the video, a person is demonstrating his disc brakes. His front axle wheels will lock, but not the rear axle wheels. This is how my trailer is braking as well. I was looking if others were experiencing the same braking.

Thanks

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
Rvpapa wrote:
Are you towing nose high ?
Art.

No, the trailer and truck ride fairly level.

Thanks

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Did you daisy chain your brake lines or did you make them equal length?

I used the line kit included with the conversion. The line runs from the pump to a "T" which feeds a "T" on the front axle and a "T" on the rear axle. The "T" on each axle feeds the respected left and right caliper on the each axle. The line from each axle "T" is shorter on the left side of each axle.

That is probably about as clear as mud without a picture. In short, the feed to each axle is daisy chained and not daisy chained from one caliper to the next.

Thanks

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Are you towing nose high ?
Art.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you daisy chain your brake lines or did you make them equal length?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
blownstang01 wrote:
If the temps are that close I'd say they are working fine.

Thanks, the disc brakes work much better than the electric drums I replaced. While testing the brakes, I checked the temps several times with all four being very close to each.

Low_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
eieioh wrote:
Seems like you are experiencing normal load transfer. You would see this especially demonstrated in the exact scenario you chose to test your set up.Think about why you have disc brakes on the front of many cars and drum brakes on the rear.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Thank you very much. Wanted to ensure I didn't have a problem I needed to resolve.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
If the temps are that close I'd say they are working fine.

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like you are experiencing normal load transfer. You would see this especially demonstrated in the exact scenario you chose to test your set up.Think about why you have disc brakes on the front of many cars and drum brakes on the rear.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.