cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

glass trim install help needed

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser that has 2 windows on the driver's side that aren't like most RV windows. They are a custom made glass panel set into a metal frame and then edged with a rubber molding that is about 5/8" wide and is slightly convex with a "lock" profile along one edge. The glass is either installed in the frame with RTV silicone or butyl tape. Then the edge lock rubber molding slips into the gap around the window and the frame and lies flat on the surface of the glass.

I need to replace the deteriorated rubber molding with new. I have the new rubber molding from Winnebago, but it will not stay in place when the edge lock is slipped into the gap between the glass and frame. It seems like I should use some sort of adhesive to fill the gap and then install the rubber molding and tape it in place until the sealant cures.

What sealant should I use?

My experience with RTV silicone is that it does not adhere well to rubber/vinyl. Should I use Urethane windshield adhesive? I could put a small bead into the groove, install the molding and tape it in place until the Urethane cures. Or, I could just run a bead of urethane into the groove and onto the glass about 1/4" and smooth it out.

What is the correct way for me to do this project? -- Thanks-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
3 REPLIES 3

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wrong molding! It should be snug. Spray area with glass cleaner and push into place, that's all it should take.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I would pay a visit to a local glass installer ,pick his/her brain a little ,ask what type of sealant that they use and why!

Then buy a bottle or can of glass cleaner,say thanks and go fix the issue!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Help-- really! I'm not sure of the right thing to do.
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler