cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing tools for the RV

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
We all know how important it is to carry tools so we can modify and fix any issues with our RV. What is the best place to store the toola' in RV or in the truck (also the tow vehicle). I keep mine in a toolbox in the bed to the truck as when I have the RV I tow it with the truck. What does everyone else do/ prefer?
22 REPLIES 22

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Still working and in the trades so I just take the tools from home that I need for camping and put them in a 5 gallon pail. That way if I need them around the house they are available.

When I do retire I will have my work/trade tools to consolidate with the home tools. At that point I will probably come up with something permanent for rving.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
Having been a mechanic while in college taught me only a very basic set of tools are needed unless you are full timing. As others do I carry very basic tools in the 2nd step storage. RV people seem to carry 10x the tools needed to rebuild an engine. If the problem isn't mechanical it can wait until I get home although I do carry a small roll of Eternabond. Get roadside assistance coverage.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I carry most all my tools in the toad. I have a Costco Crescent brand cheapie toolkit for the wrench/sockets, then I have a Veto pro-pak bag I carry my quality non wrench/socket stuff, and a small plastic box which I store my Snap-On 1/4 inch stuff. I keep the 1/4 inch stuff in the rig cause it's light. I transfer the Veto pak from the toad to the motorhome so it doesn't get stolen. I leave the cheap Costco set in the toad cause if it gets stolen no big deal. If you want a nice tool bag, check out the Veto Pro-pak line. Spendy but really nice.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"...Save weight and space for more beer..."

Now there's a man with a firm grasp of the relative importance of things.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Over the years the tools I carry get fewer in number. If I have not used it, or can jury-rig another tool to use in its place, I take it out. So all my tools now fit in a .50 cal ammo box and carry it under the truck rear seat.

I figure I do not need to rebuild a transmission out in the boondocks, just patch something together good enough to limp into town.

...Save weight and space for more beer...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I can't fix it with this tool kit from menards, I'm probably not going to be fixing it anyway.

source

I have a couple of other misc tools like a breaker bar and socket for the wheel nuts, spare fuses, etc

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
I have too many but feel good keeping them with me. They are in a truck tool box with locks. Presently replacing the cylinder for the living room slide.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
I keep my tools in a hatch. There are times I wished they were in the truck.

My friend keeps his in the truck. There are times his wife has had the truck while he was doing or wanted to do projects and he didn't have what he needed.

The answer is pretty obvious. He needs another set of tools.

I have a large multi-box stack at home, a pretty complete compact box in my truck, a simple kit of wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in each tractor and the car, and a plastic clamshell kit in my boat. Iโ€™ve made it home through some pretty significant problems without help, and more often helped somebody else fix something in the wilds of a boat ramp, camp ground or Walmart parking lot. Every kit has some wire, tape, fuses, a spark plug if applicable and a flashlight with extra batteries.

I was a Boy Scout, and it has paid off many times.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my tools in a hatch. There are times I wished they were in the truck.

My friend keeps his in the truck. There are times his wife has had the truck while he was doing or wanted to do projects and he didn't have what he needed.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a number of misc. tools from 3/4" ratchet to screwdrivers and various odd & ends. Having a selection of tools is nice but finding stuff easily can be a challenge, especially when you need it like now...

I built a couple of drawers in the underbed storage and a shelf with dividers above them. The shelf with the adapters in it is removable for easy access to things below it.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
What few tools I've needed over the last 15 years are in a small tool bag in the basement.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of the "Mustang" took kits from Walmart when we first bought our TT. Hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, various sockets, wire cutters, wire connectors, zip ties, etc. Comes in a folding plastic case that keeps everything neat and clean. Not too heavy at all, keep it in a back storage area.

The tool I use most often out of it is the neat little 6" level!

I also made sure to include a socket that fits the lugs on the trailer, as of course they are a different size than the ones on my truck. For a jack, I found that my truck's jack works fine on my trailer if I have to change a tire.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
In the trailer with my Explorer.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seattle Steve wrote:
I have a leatherman multi-tool in my glove compartment. Other than that, my tools are a phone and a credit card. They go in my pocket.
๐Ÿ™‚

I started out in an RV with 10x the number of tools I would ever use even as a full timer. I have a kitchen drawer with a leatherman, multi-tip screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. Those have handled at least 90% of my repairs. I do have a small cloth bag with a hammer, hand crank drill, a hacksaw and a few small hand tools.