cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need trailer brake wiring help

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I was starting a trip and noticed my trailer brakes, while there, didn’t seem “strong” enough. I turned up the sensitivity on my controller and it didn’t really help much. With a helper, I determined that only the rear axle brakes were buzzing when engaged. After closer inspection, the front axle wires were disconnected. It looked as though the wires corroded in the barrel connectors and literally fell out.

There are two wires coming out of the frame right above the axle, presumably from the brake controller. There are two wires going into the driver side drum and two going into the axle which I assumed are going across to the passenger side drum. I connected the two wires from the driver side drum to one of the wires coming out of the frame and the passenger side wires to the other wire from the frame.

No joy. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
2 REPLIES 2

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
One wire from the "frame" one from the brake and one from the other side hooked together. The other three hooked together.

Thanks. This makes sense. One of the “frame” wires is hot and the other ground?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
One wire from the "frame" one from the brake and one from the other side hooked together. The other three hooked together.